The little things that make teaching enjoyable

Discussion in 'General Education' started by readingrules12, Jan 22, 2013.

1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

Okay, I am sure I'm not the first to post this. I do find this is a good time of the year to be inspired by all the good things that we see at school over the past year(s) as teachers.

1. The little paper Valentine's that the students still get excited about each year that they give to each other.

2. The smile on the child in the classroom who is struggling to make a friend who is opening her box full of valentines.

3. The teacher a few doors down who shared with me some of her math manipulatives today as I noticed we just weren't going to have enough for a lesson later today.

What are some you remember?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

The collaboration that I get with not only my coworkers but the students as well. I learn as much from them as they learn from me! x

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

I love getting little notes from students. This includes notes in actual letter format as well as little things written in the margins of their papers to me. Those always make me smile. :wub:

I love when I overhear students telling each other that they really like my class when they think I can't hear them. :wub:

I love looking at a grade distribution chart for an assessment and seeing a perfect bell curve. :lol: I always feel like I accomplished something amazing when I see that! Sometimes I think I might be a little OCD, but it really makes my day!

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

This is going to sound strange, but I love how a school smells first thing in the morning. When I notice it, I go back to when I was so excited to do my student teaching.

When the students LOVE doing an activity. I want them to enjoy learning.

When I read a book aloud to them and they get so into it they check it out from the library to read it again by themselves!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 22, 2013

I love when my students take over a lesson with good discussion and thinking.

I love when the custodian brings me my keys twice a week because I'm always leaving them on the office counter when I sign in.

I love cracking open my classroom door to the outside and smelling the fresh air.

I love when my principal notices something extra I did and says thank you.

I love staff breakfasts!

I love when my 6th graders tell me about their "long" (4 day, usually) relationships. :lol:

I love more things than I hate! ;)

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2013

When my students tell me they love me. Priceless......

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2013

I agree!

I love:

-laughing with my students
    -when my students make connections with what we're talking about and bring something in from home to share
    -when former students come back to visit
    -hugs

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 23, 2013

I love walking out the back door early and seeing the sun come up behind the school. Watching the hawks screaming across the sky announcing their dominance in the air. I thank God I have such a great place to work and space to allow my kids to run and play. And the little notes that hit my desk about being the best coach in the world. I always tell them "I'm the only coach you ever had so how do you know I'm the best?" And the hugs.....always the hugs.

10. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jan 23, 2013

But you are the best coach ever. You have been around forever! :lol::woot::lol: That's meant totally as a compliment!

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Jan 23, 2013

I've noticed the PE teacher at our school (she's been at our school for over 50 years!) always comes the earliest as well. I'll be there at like 6:00 thinking I'm the only one there, and she pops out of nowhere.

I love coming in on a cold morning, turning on the heat and some nice music and letting in the first few students early in the morning who like to just pop by, drop their things off and have a chat by the heater.

I love that our school atmosphere has the staff writing each other anonymous thank-you notes on the walls, and dropping little gifts in each other's boxes for no other reason than because we're all friendly.

I love it when students begin to drive themselves to achieve higher goals and I don't have to tell them to.

12. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 23, 2013

I love it when my students start a wonderful (usually somewhat off-topic) discussion with their amazing and insightful questions!

I love when my class gets so into a read-aloud that all I have to do is pause and look up from the book and they all start begging me to read more.

I love how excited they get when we start working with things like multiplication and division.

13. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 23, 2013

I love when I am reading a book to the class and they are so wrapped up in the story that not a soul is moving, even *that* wiggly one.

I love when I hand them back their writing from the first week of school at the end of the year and they cannot believe they didn't even know how to write (whatever).

I love when the kids tell me they feel smart now.

14. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 23, 2013

My favorite thing....
    Seeing former students from the high school LD Class that I taught my second year teaching. Most of them are parents now. But, they ALWAYS give me a hug, and tell me about their life. It makes me so proud! I even had a kid help me change a tire once.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 24, 2013

I love when my kids are so interested in hearing about my childhood and how things were way back when!
    I love the notes and pictures they write and draw for me.
    I love when kids who are afraid to be in my class (I have a deep, loud voice that makes me "mean"), turn around and tell me that my class was the best ever!
    I LOVE when former students show up to say hi, or when former students, who are now college students, contact me via email or phone.
    I LOVE hearing a student say "It's time to go home already?"
    And I LOVE when a student accidentally calls me "mom". It makes me feel that they are so comfortable with me that they momentarily forgot where they were!

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2013

Being able to take a day off almost whenever I feel like it. That is a great feeling. (and after many years having learned how to quickly do sub plans.

17. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jan 24, 2013

Coworkers who reach out to you when you are in a funk.

Kids who aren't in your class who say they love you.

Kids who ask "When are we going to journal about this?"

Parents who tell you when their child is in the grade below yours that they want you to be their child's teacher next year.

Parents who insist that all of their kids have you for a teacher.

18. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jan 24, 2013

A child's smile and hug at the end of the day
    A thank you note or email from a parent
    Staff development days with more than 30 minutes for lunch
    Former students who still give you hugs whenever they see you

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2013

The little things? I've got 21 of them...

20. QE1

QE1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2013

A former student coming back to the school just to say they missed you and your class

21. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Jan 25, 2013

This always amazes me: I went to a middle school to sub today. The very last time I was there was in April 2012. I had at least 5 kids say that they remembered me! And they all said it with a smile, so it must have been a good thing!
    A math teacher stopped me and told me she was so glad to see me, and if I'm available let her know because she wants to take a lot of her sick days soon (she has to use them otherwise they will expire, or something like that). It sounded like she's been waiting for the right person to 'rescue' her and let her take some days off in peace :)