The little things that bug you

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Linguist92021, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

How about a thread where we can vent about the little things that happen to us throughout the day? nothing major, maybe it's something silly or offensive someone did but not worth to confront them about, maybe it's a mistake we made, or others and it just bugs us? Nothing judgmental. I'm not looking for someone to tell me what I should've done, not in this thread :)

So.
    Friday: I went to sub at a community day school. Interesting set up: 1 classroom, nowhere to check in, 3-4 probation officers checking in (and searching) students. So I walk in the hallway, one of the officers walk me in the classroom, introduces me to the teacher aide, and says : "This is ... (TA), this is just a sub." I look at the PO and say: "just a sub? I think we're gonna have a problem today, me and you". I said it jokingly, but was annoyed. He backed off "well, I didn't know your name".
    Obviously I watched Bad Teacher way too many times (she asked another teacher: we're gonna have a problem, me and you?), but I was kinda ticked. It's bad enough that student look at subs as inferior, now I have to hear it from a probation officer???

I'm still thinking about this, so obviously it's bugging me. So now it's time to let it go :)

3. JustMe

JustMe Guru

Jan 22, 2013

I hate how SO many teachers don't respond to important emails. When I see them face to face and bring up whatever issue is at hand, they'll say, "Oh, yeah, I read your email." Okay, so freaking respond, please!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

There's an officer that always likes to butt into my lesson. When I sub for a special ed teacher, I teach one science lesson (everything else is co-teaching, very easy). In this part of camp, the officers are stricter, so often one actually sits in class so there are no problems. So there is this one officer who must think he's so smart, he actually contributes to the lesson by "what she's trying to say is this.... " and then he goes in a brief explanation that is not always what I was talking about. And anyways, I wasn't TRYING to say something, I was saying it! And the kids got it, thank you very much!!
    But I figure it's better to let it go, it's better to have this officer on my side then to be against me. Annoying though.

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

I hate when I make a set of copies, put them in their designated place, and then can't find them the day I need them!!!!!! Of course, I find them two days later when I don't need them!

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jan 22, 2013

This is my pet peeve too. Especially when I can't go forward without knowing the answer.

7. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2013

Whew! I'm not the only one who does that! :)

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 22, 2013

I hate when I print something out to the printer, and when I go to retrieve it, someone else thought it was wonderful too, and took it! I also don't like when someone at the copier just got done making a ton of copies, and didn't bother to put more paper in it.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 22, 2013

I teach at two schools, alternating everyday. My peeve is needing something here when it is at the other school. Luckily, I live next to one school so if I am going to the other that day I can stop by and get it like I did this morning at 6am. I have tried to have duplicates at each school but not all of it can be. Hauling 3000 dollars worth of archery equipment back and forth in my truck is a task. Exhausting ;)

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

I agree with you stephen, though I don't haul any archery equipment. It is a big pet peeve of mine, although it helps a great deal that I don't teach any of the same things at either of my schools.

11. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jan 22, 2013

I hate having a work day cancelled because of weather! I had the whole day planned out. The thought of no students interrupting just made me smile.:) Oh well, I am sure I will survive!

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

Oh, I hate that, too! For me, it's not really teachers who don't respond but the office staff and admin. UGH!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2013

Unresponsive administrators are peeving me at the moment. I signed and turned in a tuition expense report 20 days ago, reminding my administrator that he needed to forward it today to avoid any late issues. I've heard nothing.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

If the photocopier jams when you are using, please don't just walk away, try to fix it. If you can't clear the jam, at least leave a note so that the next person knows it isn't working.

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 22, 2013

The thing that bugs me is getting an email sent to the whole staff that really only applies to one or two staff members.

16. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2013

YES! Equally irritating is when there is an email that goes out to all teachers and someone hits "reply all" to add his or her :2cents:.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

Oh! We had a major instance of this... All teachers are in the government e-mail database for the province, so we share e-mail with all other government workers. One time, somebody accidentally sent an e-mail that was meant for one person to the whole government database.

There were about 50 replies in my e-mail from people hitting reply all... about half of them were people replying-all to tell people to stop replying to all. I can only imagine how many e-mails the poor woman that made the mistake received!

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

The word "sub" is outlawed in my district. We call 'em "guest teachers!" :hugs:

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Jan 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

20. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Jan 22, 2013

I'm going to cheat on this one because there have been quite a few mentioned here in previous posts that I like.

So, instead of restricting myself to just one:

The e-mail one, copier paper, walking away from a copier problem, and unresponsive administrators are all good ones!

Hard to top those!
    ;)

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 22, 2013

:yeahthat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.