The Letter People

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Joxepa, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Joxepa

Joxepa Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letter_people

I had the letter people back in kindergarten, and I was wondering if people still use them? I don't think it was widespread by this time (just for reference I was born 1987) because the only other people that I know used them are my older sisters and my fiance (we grew up in different states so I was surprised that he used them. Then again he was born in 1980 and the LP is a 70s creation).

Is this still around in the classroom? My fondest memories fron kindergarten are from the letter people songs!

3. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 24, 2011

Yes they are still used! They have changed a lot! I had them when I was in K AND I taught with them my first 2 years (2006-2008). They are not very common anymore, but still around!

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 24, 2011

Some of our kind. teachers still use them...I personally can tell who does and who doesn't...they don't seem to be as effective as the other program being used in our school.

5. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Aug 24, 2011

I used the letter people during my first 2 years of teaching (14 years ago). They are actually sitting in a box in my basement because I just couldn't throw them away. When I started my career we were still using the "classic" letter people and had the songs on records! I don't know what the letter people are like today. I do know that they made some major changes to the letter people in the 90's when so many schools started to go from half day to full day and the focus was more on reading than just letter recognition. I think the new letter people have an even number of girls and boys. In the original letter people the boys were the consonents and the girls were the vowels so the girls were totally out numbered! My district left the letter people when we went full day and needed a more substantial curriculum. I am still, however, asked from time to time about the LP.

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 24, 2011

I have some in my closet that are the blow-up balloon types. I haven't used them, though... I might this year. We'll see.

7. roll

roll Rookie

Aug 24, 2011

I assisted in a kindergarten that used them. The program isn't nearly as rigorous as Wilson or the other programs many schools use - but that private school didn't want their kinders to work hard. I really enjoyed the Letter People and I know the kids did too.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2011

I remember the letter people in my K class!!! We all loved them so much... I remember my K teacher putting on the record with the song!!!!

They are expensive now!!!! I looked at them a few years ago!!!

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Aug 25, 2011

I remember them in my K class a zillion years ago too. We cried the day Mrs. M deflated.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2011

LOL!!! It was funny when they would start to lean. Our teacher would always have them in our room after we went to a special... they were "hiding" from us kids!!! LOL!!!

I would love to show lil ones these!!!

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 25, 2011

Ishould add that I remember them from K and 1st. I have the blow-up ones, but we don't actualyl have it as a curriculum.

Couldn't hurt to pull them out now and then, though...

12. LP Teacher

LP Teacher New Member

Aug 25, 2011

The Letter People are alive and well!

We want everyone to know that the Letter People for both PK and K are alive and well! There are now hand puppets instead of the original inflatables and new ideas/activities for both programs. Search for us on any of your browsers.

13. srawolf

srawolf Rookie

Aug 26, 2011

Our K team uses letter people but I use ZooPhonics because Letter People doesn't come in Spanish. From what I've seen of Letter People I'm not a huge fan. The other teachers often complain about how hokey some of it is and how much spaces the blow up dolls take up.

14. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2011

They do still make them (seen them set up at a booth at a conference a year ago). But teaching with letter people and the whole concept of letter of the week is pretty old (sorry my opinion as a kindergarten teacher with a Master's in Reading).

My district does not encourage their use. We teach letter id by using and interacting with letters all day long every day. We don't teach letter of the week (maybe more like letter of the day - although we never just use one letter).