The "Ignore it" Strategy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jan 26, 2018.

1. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Feb 6, 2018

This happened to me the first time I took over a class without my host teacher present as well. (There WAS a sub since it was my practicum, but they deliberately refused to intervene just to see what would happen.) The first time on your own is always going to be challenging, and the student probably won't see you as a legitimate authority figure yet if it's not YOUR classroom.

CherryOak likes this.
  2. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 6, 2018

I think really trying to nip the problem of students out of their seats as quickly as possible. Make sure there is a clear procedure of when to and not get out of seat. Strictly enforce this. Don't beat yourself up about it though. That is a common problem at the beginning for student teachers. You are being honest about the problem which puts you way ahead of most--who usually start out in denial or putting all the blame on the students.

I also really like the idea above about calming music. 60 beats per minutes is ideal. Type in 60bpm in YouTube and you will be set with great calming music. I use it all the time.

CherryOak likes this.
  3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 6, 2018

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I am teaching the whole class alone tomorrow because my mentor will be out. I will try the calming music. Wish me luck!!!

4. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Feb 7, 2018

I like your honest reflection, too. It will enable you to grow into a successful professional very quickly. Some of what you listed is clearly behavioral and just flat out hard in your situation as a student teacher. I can't pretend to know enough to advise there. But, I will point out that some of what was mentioned is also likely to be motivation issues. As you admitted, behavior wasn't stellar for your mentor either. So, in addition to strengthening your management bit by bit and believing you can do it (which you can!), pause here and there and analyze it from a motivational standpoint, too. For example, think, this kid acting up...do they feel completely capable of successfully doing this assignment? If they feel they can't, they may simply not even start it. Do they feel motivated to complete it for some other reason than I told them to do it? If not, try to cast that vision and goal for them as the leader. Good luck and keep us posted!

5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 7, 2018

Thanks everyone!! I survived the day! It didn't go perfectly but it went a lot better than Monday. I had a few behavior problems but it was 2 major issues in two classes rather than 8-10 like before. It helped that one student didn't come to class and that my mentor allowed me to send one student out if I needed to. The challenge was at the end of the day for a subject that I usually don't teach (science) because it is hard to manage them at the end of the day. But it went ok and not too much worse than usual.

otterpop likes this.
  6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Cohort

Feb 9, 2018

Just wanted to update that I had a great day today! My lesson today went well and I did a matching activity with the kids. Most of my students did a really good job with it. My mentor and I talked more about the behavior and we're both responding to it. She sent one student out for the yelling and he did his work in the reflection room. I also had them do an activity in partners where they cut and matched different representations of a linear relationship. Most kids did really well and i had three of my very low students complete the assignment and do a good job!