The best writing choice day ever!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by firstgradeteach, Apr 15, 2009.

1. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 15, 2009

Hi!

I found these two websites yesterday after deciding to have more choices for writing for the daily 5. Oh my gosh, it was a hit! My kids were so sad when we had to stop writing and all were begging to write again during recess. (Even the kids that are too cool for first grade, were the first to ask!)

I made examples of each of the major templates, showed them all at once, instead of introducing them one at a time and they got it!!!

I thought I'd share the websites that I found. We had comics, newspapers, birthday cards, cafe menu's, thank you cards, letters, recipe cards, etc.

http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/cll/writing/frames.html

http://www.teachchildrenesl.com/filez8932/lesson plans/comic_strip.pdf

I really enjoyed reading all of their writing. The funniest one was a little boy who is normally really quiet. He chose a newspaper template. There is a section for two pictures, two stories and two headlines.

One headline said Mom, and the other said Dad. Under Mom, he wrote, "Mom digs for gold again!" He proceeded to draw a picture of a woman picking her nose. Under Dad, he wrote, "Dad vomits again!" He also had a picture of a man with lines coming out of his mouth. I couldn't believe it! I was in total shock!

Their personalities definitely came out with these! I hope you enjoy the templates as much as we have!

If you have any more fun writing templates, please share!

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2009

haha...thats great! Thanks for sharing...I can't wait to check out the sites :)

4. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Apr 15, 2009

I just took a glance at the SparkleBox site...it looks awesome! Thanks for sharing! :D My kiddos will love having some new writing options.

5. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2009

I looked at the sites and they are great! Thank you so much! And congrats on your great day!

6. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Apr 16, 2009

What is the daily 5? How does it work?

7. firstgradeteach

firstgradeteach Comrade

Apr 16, 2009

It is a book about 5 things that the kids need to do daily including writing, work with words, listen to reading, read to someone, and read to self. We have 5 rotations of 20 minutes each during the day. About 4-5 students will be working on each of the the 5 things at a time.

I wanted to add choices to the writing time. We have been working on buddy writing, picture response, journal prompts, art writing, how-to books etc. this year. I wanted to add something more "fun" and I found these templates. Our rotation is just 20 minutes, so it gives us just about the right amount of time to finish one of the templates.

I highly suggest the book, it has made my life a lot easier! It cuts down on unnecessary worksheets, makes planning super fast and easy, I am always ready for my reading groups because it is scheduled in a rotation chart on the board. Before, it was too easy for me to just do something else instead of grabbing my group. Most of all it is easy and allows the students 1 hour and 40 minutes of real, meaningful practice. It seems so simple and it is,but it works!

http://www.thedailycafe.com/public/department38.cfm
    This website gives some information about the book and their newest book and resources.

8. maroki

maroki Comrade

Apr 16, 2009

Thanks so much for sharing! Those are great - I'm sure my kids will love to use them!