The Bead System

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by brandi0718, Jun 13, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I was just looking at http://www.mspowell.com/beadsystem.html and I am really interested in doing the Bead System with my kids. Has anyone done this with their class? The only problem I have is that my kids are going to have tables and not desks....where could i put the pipe cleaner and name tags other than a desk? Any suggestions would be great.

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

Although I have not done this in my own classroom I think that it would work when placed on a bulletin board in the classroom. You would be able to include the center sign up sheets on the board as well, creating a whole center with behavior tips/rules of the game/etc. Just an idea... :)

4. Iteachtwo

Iteachtwo Companion

Jun 13, 2008

The Bead System is toooooooo cute. I'm out of the classroom but may try it with my Title 1 students.

5. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

The BB is a good idea...I wonder if this would work without having to use a behavior chart or if I would need both?

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I used it with my 5th graders last year. They earned beads throughout the week and if they had 10 beads by Friday, they would be able to participate in P.A.T. (preferred activity time). The more beads they earned, they better their choices were for activities. I would listen the activities on the board with only a certain number of spots. My students would line up based on the number of beads they earned and each one would go up to the board and sign up for an activity. Once all the spots were filled up for an activity, no one could do it. My neighboring teacher would take her kids out for a recess on Friday's and she would let me send 5 students out with her class so those spots filled up fast!

7. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

A similar idea that a teacher I know uses is to give each student an index card with their name on it. They earn hole punches for good behavior. Then they trade in their hole punches.

They make a lot of decorative hole punches now that keep it interesting. You can use holiday ones, etc.

8. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I like the hole punch idea too. The beads are really cute, but I was kind of afraid of my kids taking someone else beads off of their name tag. I had a lot of kids moving another persons clip last year. They would not be able to do that with the hole punch.

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

Surprisingly, having beads get stolen was never something that I ran into. When I decided to use them, that was a concern of mine. The only problem I ran into was some of my students earning more beads than their pipecleaner could hold. :)

10. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

What a great problem to run into!!! :)

11. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

I like the bead idea! It is super cute. How do you attach it onto the desk to make it easy to put the beads on but to also make sure the beads don't slip off?

12. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

Along the same lines of the hole-punching: a cute stamp would work, too, and you wouldn't have little dots of paper all over the room.

13. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 13, 2008

i'm wondering with the stamp or punch how you would keep the cards.

14. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 14, 2008

I just taped the pipe cleaners to the top of their desks.

15. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

They sell decorative library pockets at most teacher stores. Laminate them, cut a slit for the pocket and then tape them to their desk. The "punch card" will fit inside the pocket, but can be pulled out easily.

16. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

The only thing about doing a stamp or hole punch is you wouldn't be able to take one off.

17. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

That is true... This past year, I chose to keep my positive and negative consequences separate (positive = ticket toward a drawing at the end of the week, negative = red/yellow/green light) and I think that worked well. Some kids would never end up with any beads/tickets/stamps if they could just be taken away, so it does allow them some success.

18. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Jun 15, 2008

NICE IDEA! I like that. Then it's easy to change the card, too, at the end of the week or whatever.