Thanksgiving break!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by whizkid, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2018

Agreed!
    No break since Labor Day.
    5 day weekend for Thanksgiving.
    Winter break Dec 22-Jan1
    Spring break last week of March.
    Long three months!

2. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

Nov 15, 2018

But it's the second semester!

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

We are off next week and I am so happy.

We have been on indoor recess schedule this entire week due to bad air quality here in CA. Yes, the students have been cooped up all day, everyday. Due to the fires in our state, we have been at Level 5 (Purple Flag). It's really difficult to breathe and many people are wearing masks. We are having students wear masks to and from using the restroom (since that's the only time they're outdoors).

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Nov 16, 2018

Same, except my admin canceled school like the local public school district did due to the extremely poor air quality. My Thanksgiving Break was extended and I only had a 2.5-day workweek. My break is now 10 days long and I am just relaxing and about to go out to eat, haha!

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

Do they have you guys make up the days? We've never canceled school before due to inclement weather because (as you know) it doesn't snow or get really cold here. All these days of horrible air have really thrown us for a loop!

Some parents were up in arms that school was still in session, but we gently reminded them that we (the school site) take direction from the district office and that they're welcome to voice their concerns downtown. Ugh.

6. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

I’ve never had to make up a school day even in the rare instances where school was cancelled. Last year, we cancelled school for two days due to the hazy conditions caused by the California fires and did NOT make them up. School preceded as per normal unless I’m mistaken. And the reason why I don’t think any days were added because there were no updates to the school calendar — all of our planned breaks were still the same length of days — and school ended on the same day as originally planned.

And to be frank, the fact that your district makes you work in unhealthy conditions speaks volumes about it. My CEO sent a message out to all faculty and staff members saying that health comes first and that we were not to come to work on Friday (today). He also said that all salaried employees would still receive pay for the day off because they are so valued. That’s the way it should be. I’d wager that your district is forcing school to stay in session because they would lose revenue for the day missed, which is outrageous if true.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 16, 2018

About 30 minutes ago, I learned that all districts in my entire county (aside from private schools) had school today. It was in session for everyone.

8. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

The public schools in my area all cancelled school and the private schools either did so or chose not to.

9. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 16, 2018

Funny---on the east coast here we had off for essentially the opposite reason. It took me 7 hours to get home from work last night....I live 25 minutes away. 7 hours! Most unbelievable experience of my life. And now today it all melted away anyway.

10. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

7 hours?! Please explain. I’m absolutely stunned.

11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 16, 2018

Literal parking lot on the roads with the first snow storm of the season. Never experienced anything close to it in my 29 years of life. The state was very poorly prepared, we got more snow than expected, and the roads weren't properly salted, plowed etc. It's like they forgot winter was coming.

There were close to 600 accidents in the state yesterday. There was a squad of cops that had to help push cars up the hill because people kept spinning out. People driving in the wrong lane to get passed broken down cars. People running out of gas and not able to move. Absolute insanity. I thought it was like the apocalypse. Our new governor really dropped the ball. As much I hated the old governor, it was NEVER this bad under his leadership.

Our superintendent issued an apology for not closing schools early yesterday, but they ended up closing them today.

Here's an example even worse than mine:

https://www.nj.com/expo/news/erry-2018/11/ae4ed03a9f1491/dear-nj-i-just-moved-here-and.html

12. futuremathsprof

Nov 16, 2018

Oh. My. God. How horrid!

13. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Nov 16, 2018

I did have one student email me last night and ask me if i got home safe, which I thought was really a sweet way to end a miserable drive. I also texted the AP Stat teacher this morning and toldl her she should use this as an example for Type I/Type II error. [i.e. close school early and the storm is a dud vs. leave school open and get what we got].

futuremathsprof likes this.
  14. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Nov 17, 2018

One word: WOO-HOO!!!!

whizkid likes this.