Thank you cards

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pumpkin83, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Pumpkin83

Pumpkin83 Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

Alright, I am like the worst Thank-you card writer! I never know what to write. So i thought this year I would see what other teachers write for thank you cards for receiving a Christmas present.

I usually just write:
    Dear Suzie,
    Thank you for the gift card and lotions. They are perfect. Have a great Christmas.

Your Teacher, Ms. Smith

I teach in a Catholic school, so using the word 'Christmas' is just fine! I just feel like my thank you notes are so short and plain. :help:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2007

I keep it short and sweet as well. Here's one I wrote yesterday:

Michael:

Thank you so much for the poinsettia candles. They will look perfect on my mantle with my collection of angels and white poinsettias. I hope you have a safe and happy holiday!

MrsC.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Dec 19, 2007

I think what you wrote was just fine.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Dec 19, 2007

I need to get started on mine. I went out and bought new cards and everything. Mine are similar to yours. Last year, I bought these cards at IKEA and then found out they were not the standard size! They were all returned to me... how embarassing!

6. Iluvkids

Iluvkids Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

I was always told to write thank you for the specific gift, how or when you will use it, something unrelated (like have a great Christmas or it's great having you in my class this year etc. ) then thank you again.

Hope this helps!

7. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Dec 19, 2007

Do you write thank you notes for each child who gave you something? I few kids gave me candy canes. They passed them out at the end of the day and I didn't have time to write a thank you note. Will it be weird to write a note to them when we return on Jan. 7th? (School is out)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 19, 2007

Candy canes? would probably skip the thank you...

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2007

I usually write my cards over break and send them home the day we get back. I used to mail them home, but that means stamps, bringing home my class list of addresses etc....

10. Jenlovestoteach

Jenlovestoteach Comrade

Dec 20, 2007

I type up a generic one on cute snowman paper for the class gift and then personalize it for each kid with their name.

I think this year it says

"Thank you so much for thinking of me during the holiday season. Your thoughtfulness and generosity is very much appreciated! I hope that you enjoy your Winter Break and have a wonderful holiday and restful vacation. I will see you next year! Happy Holidays!

Warmly,
    My Name"

If they give me something in addition to the class gift, I write a personal note on the card. ... "Thank you so much for the candles. I know they will look lovely on my fireplace."

11. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Dec 21, 2007

I make my notes very simple so my first grader can read it him/herself. That is so important for them. I also try to mail them right after Christmas because that way they get to receive mail of their very own. Keep it simple is nice - it keeps us from getting overwhelmed and then not doing it!

12. Mama P

Mama P Rookie

Dec 26, 2007

I write my thank you notes during the break and hand them out to the the kids on our first day back from break. I start out with Dear (name) and thank them personally for what was given to me and sign it with Love, (my name) :)

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Dec 26, 2007

I had a bunch of parents pool there money and buy me a collective gift. I plan on writing out cards and mailing them so they are received in a timely manner. I think the gift was too big to put off the thank yous until we get back. I'm not quite sure how to word my messege though.

14. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Dec 26, 2007

I wrote simple notes addressed to the child and mailed them today. I don't like opening gifts in front of the students, so I told them that I was opening all my presents on Christmas morning. Because of that, I had to wait until today to mail them. We don't go back until Jan 8th, so they should get them long before we are back in school.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 26, 2007

It sounds fine but if you just want to add more to it you could say, "Thank you for gift card and lotions. They are perfect. Thank you for thinking of me. I will enjoy them. Have a great Christmas."

I agree with the being simple part so the kids can read it.

16. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Dec 27, 2007

I send my thank you letters to their houses during Christmas break. In past years I was told that this was appreciated.

17. Anyalee

Anyalee Companion

Dec 17, 2009

Jen thanks for the great thank you note info...I just stole it word for word! MC :)

18. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 17, 2009

I always try to personalize them a bit and let the person know what I am going to do with the gift.

Dear ________,
    Thank you so much for the beautiful poinsettia. It will complete my Christmas decorations as it will sit on my dining room table. I will enjoy it very much.

Sincerely,
    Midwestteacher

19. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Dec 17, 2009

I send mine to their home address as well. I remember how special getting my own mail always made me feel as a kid (I still get excited when it's something other than bills!) The kids come back in Jan. super excited to thank me for their letter! :)

20. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Dec 17, 2009

I'll make my thank you note cards on Monday and Tuesday, then get them in the mail so they arrive on Saturday. I like mailing them to their homes too.

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Dec 17, 2009

Since I am switching schools over the Christmas break, I plan to send thank you notes via the new teacher through our district mail.