Text book dilemma

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by MissaG, Jul 13, 2007.

1. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 13, 2007

My district has text books for every subject. I really hate using exclusively texts, so I do what I can to plan many other things and mainly use the text as a supplements. The teachers in my school are so used to using these books, that they don't do much of anything else. I don't mind this, BUT, they basically go through these books front to back and that's it. Looking through my science book, for example, not a whole lot of it lines up with the state's curriculum. Of course, it was probably the closest thing for them to buy for us to use, but if I went cover to cover on these books, I would not be covering the curriculum that the state says I am supposed to.

For years, the third grade teacher has been teaching the planets because there is a chapter in the book. Here, I was all excited to teach the planets when I took on third grade, but looking at the standards, there is nothing about planets. There is something on the phases of the moon, but not the planets.

My point is, I now realize why the teachers in this school ask me why my planning takes so long and its because I am following what I am supposed to be and not simply relying on a text. How can I bring something like this to the attention of the staff without causing trouble? We are a small school with one class per grade level, and if we all don't follow what we are supposed to, it makes it difficult for the next teacher to build upon what should have already been taught.

3. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I would talk to your principal and tell him or her your thoughts. You are exactly right. Teachers should be teaching the state standards and not what happens to be in the text book. If you tell the other teachers what you wrote to us in your post, you risk offending them and they may think that you are trying to tell them how to do their jobs. That may lead to an uncomfortable work environment. If you talk to your principal, hopefully he or she will realize how right you are. Maybe your principal will then try to enforce all teachers to teach the state standards.

4. cameroncrazie

cameroncrazie Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I know that when I first started teaching after I graduated college, I didn't even realize that the curriculum didn't line up exactly with the textbooks. With all of the things that go along with teaching, especially with new teachers, I was so overwhelmed that it didn't even dawn on me! I personally wish someone had told me so that I hadn't spent so much time on material that carried less weight. But I agree with the other post, I would suggest talking to your principal.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Is this public or private, MissaG?

6. MissaG

MissaG Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Public

7. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I have to agree, Missa. I'd talk to the principal or bring it up at a staff meeting. It is the perfect time since you are switching grades and you could say exactly what you told us... that you were looking through the textbook and noticed that it didn't cover many of the standards, etc.

There will always be those few teachers who will just go through the book, front to back, just because it is easier. (Even if it isn't best for the kids.) I would definately bring it up though.

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

To be honest with you, I think most of the teachers in my school do this. Makes me crazy.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

Many of our teachers do this as well. I only use a textbook occasionally, and I jump around a lot. There is so much to teach these days, it doesn't make sense to teach things that aren't "required" and to not teach that are because they aren't in the textbook.

10. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 14, 2007

What even makes me more crazy is when they just copy the chapter test straight out of the book, even if they didn't cover everything.

11. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2007

We're lucky to have textbooks in our school! Our principal views the textbook as a tool.

Talk to the principal!

12. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Looks like you are getting great advice, Missy, but I can't help wondering why your principal isn't already on top of this? Maybe it is not this way everywhere, but our principal is always addressing the meeting of standards, not in a dictorial type of way, but in a supportive way. Guess, I thought it was part of a principal's job to help his teachers meet state standards. It really puts you in a tough spot, doesn't it Missy? :angel: