texes special education test (ec-12)

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by houston, Apr 15, 2007.

1. educated1

educated1 New Member

Dec 17, 2010

Hello Everyone,
    I'm getting ready to take the EC-12 next month Jan 29th. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to study. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out the areas I really need to study. So, would someone please help me?

2. educated1

educated1 New Member

Dec 17, 2010

Hello Everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone can tell what I need to study for the EC-12? I will be taking the EC-12 Jan 29, 2010, and I'm going crazy because I don't "NO" what to really study. Please someone help!!!!!

3. educated1

educated1 New Member

Dec 18, 2010

Hello Everyone,
    I'm getting ready to take the EC-12 next month Jan 29th. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what I need to study. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out the areas I really need to study. So, would someone please help me?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 18, 2010

Welcome to A to Z, educated1.

Sorry people haven't responded more - but a lot of us are distracted with preparations for the holidays.

Have you downloaded the free preparation manual that's on the TExES Web site? Anything that's mentioned therein is fair game to be asked on the test.

5. educated1

educated1 New Member

Dec 19, 2010

Yes I did, and thank you. I just wondering what I really should study in order to well prepare myself?

6. mommy2l3

mommy2l3 Rookie

Mar 1, 2012

TExES 161

Well, I took the EC-12 Spec Ed test on Wed, Feb 29th in the CAT form and was wondering if anyone knows how soon scores will be posted, where they are posted and if an e-mail is sent out to notify you that grades have been posted:confused:. I am so anxious :eek:to get my results because I honestly have no idea how I did. I feel like the entire 135 questions were all scenario based and I have had no classroom experience, nor have I had any education or special education classes, but I am extremely common sense savvy:thumb:!! Anywho, anxiously awaiting:whistle:!

7. mommy2l3

mommy2l3 Rookie

Mar 14, 2012

I passed

Not sure if anyone is on here anymore, but I passed the EC-12 Spec Ed with a 270, now I am getting ready for the 4-8 ELA...any tips are greatly appreciated...taking it on March 21, 2012. Thanks!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2012

Congratulations on passing EC-12 Spec Ed!

What about 4-8 ELA has you nervous?

9. mommy2l3

mommy2l3 Rookie

Apr 15, 2012

TExES CAT test scores

Hi. I have taken 2 TExES CAT test in the past on Wed and had my scores by Fri afternoon. This last test that I took was on a Fri...do you think I will have my scores by Mon?

10. mommy2l3

mommy2l3 Rookie

Apr 17, 2012

TeacherGroupie...I was nervous about all three test that I took simply because I have never had an education class and wasn't really sure how to study for the tests...so I didn't really study, I just took the pretest over a few times and luckily I passed my EC-12 Spec Ed, EC-6 Generalist and 4-8 ELA all on the first try...now to get a job!! Best of luck to everyone else out there and just have confidence in yourself...thanks!

11. TxAUSpED

TxAUSpED New Member

Apr 17, 2012

TexES 161

Hello all! So, took my sped content exam yesterday (4/16) and got my results TODAY!!!
    One thing I want to say to all you future special ed teachers - I really studied for this exam and when I finished the test I felt really unsure about my performance.:unsure: I thought I might have failed because I went back and changed a few answers, when I should have gone with my original answer. Also, many questions had two very similar answers. Well, I came home from the test and read through all these posts, twice, trying to determine how many I could miss and still pass. Suffice it to say I was a nervous wreck!
    Anyhow when I checked to see if my scores were posted today, sure enough they were and I PASSED (first try;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 280/300 :haha:
    Moral of my story: study study study and after you take the exam -- even if you feel like you did not do well -- take it easy and BREATHE because you probably did better than you think. Good luck to all!

12. Sooners78

Sooners78 Rookie

Apr 30, 2012

Took my Special Ed. 161 test on Friday 4/27. Not really sure how I did. Most questions were situation based with two good answers and two answers that were obviously wrong. I probably knew 60 questions for sure, and most of the others was able to rule out two answers. This is not really an area of interest for me as a high school math teacher, but I was required to take it at my alternative high school due to budget cuts. I used the XAM study guide which was helpful.

13. Believeachieve

Believeachieve Rookie

May 23, 2012

Hi all! I will be taking 161 on Tuesday. Any advice? I have been studying XAM and TEA downloadable guide. I am extremely nervous!! Congrats to all of you passing geniuses. :)

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 23, 2012

Breathe, please.

Know the laws, know how they apply, know how to differentiate, and make sure that the age/grade/disability in the possible answer matches the age/grade/disability in the question stem.

15. Believeachieve

Believeachieve Rookie

May 28, 2012

TeacherGroupie, THANKS!

16. Believeachieve

Believeachieve Rookie

May 29, 2012

Took the Texes this afternoon. Testing center did not provide formula/definition sheet. A calculator was given but not needed! I am a little uneasy but if I failed it's due to a lack of studying. I drove over 1100 miles to take the exam! I hope it was worthwhile!

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 30, 2012

Keep us posted, please, Believeachieve.

18. Believeachieve

Believeachieve Rookie

Jun 6, 2012

Passed 161! I took EC-6 (191) this afternoon. Do not feel confident about it! I will be going back to Florida on Saturday. Hopefully, I will be offered an interview in Texas!

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2012

Congratulations on 161; keep us posted on 191.

20. Bloominlilac

Bloominlilac New Member

Sep 2, 2012

HELP with EC-12!!

I will be taking the EC-12 or the SpEd Supplement soon, and I've gone back and read ALL the posts on this thread. Since postings stopped 3 months ago, not sure if I'll get a response...but would appreciate any updated advice before taking the test. I'm a veteran regular Ed elementary teacher, and all I've looked at thus far is the TES online study guide. Someone mentioned in an earlier post "Put Reading First." any idea where to find that? This thread has been most informative!
    Thanks!