TEXES LOTE 613 - Spanish

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by bnorthc, Jun 5, 2012.

1. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jun 5, 2012

Hello all! New to the forum and wondering if there are other LOTE Spanish test takers out there. I am struggling! Please offer your tips/advice for this poor test taker!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, bnorthc! What has you most concerned with this test?

4. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jun 5, 2012

My biggest concern is that I have not passed the test! I have studied the free manual extensively and purchased some practice tests from texesspanish.com, and I am still achieving very low scores. I am wondering what has worked for people in the past and if there are any hints as to what I should be studying.

Thanks for your concern.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2012

I believe TExES LOTE score reports break the results down by domain; this can give some sense of where you need to focus. What are you seeing on your score report?

6. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I am having trouble too. I took it a month ago and did not pass. I am freaking out and so stressed. With the no retake for 60 days rule I will only have one chance to take it again before I will lose my teaching position due to not being certified. I already passed my PPR and my Special Education test with flying colors. This is so frustrating. Also, I passed all of these tests including the Spanish back in NY and have certification in NY. This test was nothing like the prep book I bought from XAMonline- That book cost $65 and was totally not aligned with the test. Has anyone else taken this that can offer any advice? I also was not expecting to be timed per question. The time limits are pretty strict. Plus, you don't get to use any of your leftover time from easy parts for the harder parts. You can't go back to review either. I felt like it was a race. I'm really down about this.

7. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

I also bought practice tests from texasspanish and would pass everytime. But the test is not really the same and you have the time limit stressing you out. :(

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 14, 2012

felicity5, hugs.

What parts of the test do you find easy?

9. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jul 2, 2012

Sorry y'all, been busy. First off, Teacher Groupie I want to thank you for all of your great advice and input, not just on my issues but on everyone's!

Secondly, you had asked me about the specific competencies I needed to work on (according to my score sheet). One of the most frustrating things about this test is the lack of feedback. ETS simply reports the score for each domain. So, according to ETS, I need to work on my domain I (pedagogy) because my score was 28 out of 40.

I have also recently taken (and passed with flying colors) the ELAR 8-12 exam; this one gives SPECIFIC feedback on page 2 that I need to address.

The ridiculous thing about the LOTE Spanish test is that the last two exams I took were exactly the same, but with no feedback I have no idea what to focus my study on!

It sounds like I am not the only person struggling to pass this. Is there anyone who did pass it and would like to share some tips? Or have enough people failed it that we need to complain to TEA?

BTW, I even requested a score verification on my most recent failure (which is supposed to be re-graded by the best they've got) and it resulted in no score change.

Help!

10. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012

Texes LOTE Spanish 613 Texas

I requested score verification too but have not received any information. How long did it take them to get back to you?

I am taking the test again in about a week. I don't think much will have changed by then but I don't really have a choice as it is the last one before school starts. Good luck to you! :dizzy:

11. bnorthc

bnorthc New Member

Jul 3, 2012

Felicity5 it took 5 weeks to get my verification back. I hope they have good news for you.

I take the test again on the 9th. FWIW, I have been focusing on the pedagogy part of the test, simply because foreign language is different than standard practices. I recommend knowing the ACTFL guidelines backward and forward.

I just figure if I can ace the English stuff and do okay on the Spanish I might have a fighting chance of passing!

Good luck to you too!

12. felicity5

felicity5 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012

Good news!

I passed the 2nd time! Guess it wasn't as impossible as a I thought. Good luck to all. Thanks for chatting. :D

13. Jeanah98

Jeanah98 New Member

Aug 9, 2012

Failed by 5 points:-(

I just took the Spanish LOTE 613 a month ago and got my results back recently. I failed by 5 points. Granted, I did not study at all the Pedagogy part because of an international move that I was in the middle of, but I would like to take it again. I do not need any tips on the Spanish language part because I more or less breezed through that although you have to be really on top of everything with the timing.

Does anyone have any tips about improving the score on the Pedagogy part like preparing a class, etc. I have already understood that it would be good to look over the ACTFL requirements. Any other suggestions??

Thanks!!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2012

If Texas has something like California's English-language development standards that sketch out the stages through which English learners pass and how to get them there, that might be a good place to start.

15. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 11, 2012

Ahhhh what to do!? I've taken mine 4 times...I fail the pedagogy and some Spanish b231 is the highest. :(

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 11, 2012

nosepasar1216, hugs. Have you taken any coursework in teaching language?

17. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

well thank you for the hugs...i didnt think this A to Z stuff even existed or that anyone replied back to the comments. Thanks for replying. Answer to your question I did pay a lady around $1100+ for about 2 1/2 months and saw an increase of about 30 points, but it hasent been enough :-( I was just searching the web for tips and tricks to passing this exam. I will get let go and the end of this school year if i cannot pass. I know have exactly 3 more exams to try to pass my next one is DEC 08

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2012

You're welcome, nosepasar - though I may lean on you to change your username: my Spanish is not very good, but that sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy.

So have you had any coursework in teaching language? I'm not trying to challenge you: I'm trying to figure out what to suggest.

19. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

sorry it has been a joke since i cant even pass. i didnt think anyone on hear would help. if you mean if i teach classes in espanish yes i do. i have had some trainng with a lady and she gave me classwork and i always seemed like i didnt on the day it was due.

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2012

Okay, so you haven't had formal coursework in something like a teacher education program on foreign language pedagogy?

21. nosepasar1216

nosepasar1216 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012

no

i guess not...i mostly fail for the most part the PPR aspect of the exam.