TExES Generalist 4-8

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by CArnold, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ari

ari Rookie

Feb 23, 2012

Hi, did you passed your PPR Exam? I will be taking mine this Feb 28, 2012 and any advice will help me. Please let me know how you study or what materials you have. I study very hard, and I think I know all the quesitons, and when I get infront of the test I don't know what happen. I feel very confident about myself, but at the end I don't do very well. please let me know thanks.

2. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Mar 9, 2012

I just took and passed my TeXES in mid Feb. The math on the actual test is not nearly as hard as the review books make it seem. The math portion only counts for 21% of the test so in a reality you could do poorly in that particular part and still pass if you do well in the other sections. There is no need to memorize any of the formulas because a chart is given to you.

3. shamelissa

shamelissa New Member

Mar 10, 2012

I just took the test yesterday and found the math to be way easier than the practice test. Waiting for my scores is killing me!

4. shamelissa

shamelissa New Member

Mar 10, 2012

The study guide that helped me the most, especially with math, was from EdPublishing. I also had trouble downloading their e-book and they moved mountains to help me. Customer service goes a long way!

5. nervousmom

nervousmom New Member

Apr 5, 2012

I don't know if anyone checks in here...but i just wanted to let you know that I just enrolled in an Alternative Certification Program. I graduated with my business degree in '09 and have not found a good job so I decided to give Bilingual Generlist 4-8 a chance. I have to take a Pre test April 28 before I can actually take the real test. I have to pass this test with a 75% so that I could "earn my ticket" I guess. I have read post and no one has gone thur this first. Im very nervous because education is not my field but I really like it...i know i can do it!!!! Just the fact that i have 3 week to study for a pre-test and then for the actual certification test is really stressing me out!!! am i really doing the right thing? uuuhhhhhh!!!!!!

6. Half-full

Half-full New Member

Apr 22, 2012

Do they provide you with a Mathematics chart (formulas and such) and periodic table at the test center?

7. Moses

Moses New Member

Aug 9, 2012

Trying to nail that exam

Hello everyone, I see this forum has been quiet for some time now but I figured I'd post anyway. Well I am going to be taken the 4-8 generalist exam in 2 weeks. I've taken it before and scored 239 twice! I have test anxiety though. I know I am so close but still wanted to know if there were any additional tips you guys could give. I'm really praying for passing results this time.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2012

Welcome to A to Z, Moses.

Do your score reports give, or do you have a sense of, the domains in which you're coming up short?

9. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Mar 21, 2013

Hi all!
    So, this thread has been inactive for some time; however, I am bumping it because I am taking the Generalist 4-8 (111) exam tomorrow at 1pm and am extremely nervous!

I've used Certify Teacher for a couple weeks now and on my last practice test scored a 237 (79%). My weakness is mathematics (by far) and some science.

I am an English major/History minor (graduating in May with my BA English) but the ELA portion was tricky so I've really focused on that, social studies and science because I am (and always have been) notoriously terrible at math.

Does anyone know if you can still pass the test without doing particularly well on the math portion? It seems like you should be able to, but I wasn't sure if each portion was 'weighted' somehow.

Please keep me in your T&P for tomorrow as passing this on the first try is very important to me!

10. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Mar 22, 2013

Ok so the exam took me 3 of the 5 hours allowed to complete. It felt pretty easy, with only a handful of questions I was unsure of; the math portion seemed shockingly easy overall compared to what I've been studying. Overall, I feel good about it but you just never know! We'll see next week!! :woot:

11. TeacherGroupie

Mar 22, 2013

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post till just now, LifetimeLearner. It's broadly the case with teacher tests that one passes the whole of a teacher test or, if it's divided into chunks (subtests or sections) for purposes of administration, the whole of each of the chunks. For any generalist test or subtest, it should be possible to pass the whole thing even though one doesn't do very well in one of the domains (= subject areas) covered.

Based on your self-report, I wouldn't recommend popping any corks right now - but you're probably within your rights to start icing the bubbly of your choice. Yay, you!

12. LifetimeLearner

LifetimeLearner Rookie

Mar 26, 2013

I passed; by a good margin, too! WOOT!!

13. TeacherGroupie

Mar 26, 2013

Cheers to you, LifetimeLearner!

14. carlad22

carlad22 New Member

Jul 28, 2014

Study group

Is there anyone in the Houston area looking for a study partner?