TexEs English Language Arts (4-8) Exam

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Koolness, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Koolness

Koolness Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

Has anyone taken this exam. I'm taking it on the 16th of June and I'm extremely nervous. i've never been this nervous about a test. Anyone have any tips or advice. I took a practice test and didn't do so well. I'm brushing up on Reading Essentials for kids. Since its 4-8 I've been studying things such as Phonemes, Phonics, Fluency, Vocabulary Instruction, text comprehension. Should I also be studying Literary Terms or Literary Periods. I'm doing my certification through an Alternative Certification Program. I'm so glad I found this forum, and it's good to see I'm not the only worry wart when it comes to this. :D

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2007

The study guide for that test comes, if memory serves, with a breakdown of what the test covers. If literary periods are mentioned there, you need to know those literary periods (though I'd be surprised if they are mentioned, given the age). I should think you would need to know literary terms, and you should probably also know terminology for writing (both creative writing and composition).

Is there a fair bit of English coursework on your college transcript?

4. Koolness

Koolness Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

Actually my minor was Creative Writing. I did get the Study Packet or manuel for this test, its available in the TExEs website, but I'm just sort of wondering if anyone out there has any more good advice, tips, or general knowledge of what the test contains. I'd appreciate any help. I'll take any info or insight anyone offers. Thanks in advance.

5. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Jun 7, 2007

I took a TExES exam for Life Sciences 8-12 but I think I might be able to help.
    On the website they give you that practice manual thing with a sample test. Print out the domains and compentencies and the answer key. Go back to the questions you missed and find out what compentency/domain it was in. That will help you figure out what you are weak on.
    Then, on the compentencies when it says "Must be able to blah blah blah (i.e. Phonics, fluency)" find a teachers edition textbook and find in it where they talk about teaching phonics and fluency and THEN read everything around it to pick up on other areas you have to teach and make sure you understand those. So, for instance, if you go and look up phonics, the page before it might have literary periods and there you go! It might also have other information you need to know that aren't specifically pointed out in the TExES manual.

I hope that helps! (Also, I hope I didnt tell you something you know already!)

6. Koolness

Koolness Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I never thought of going back to the competancies in questions that I missed and then researching them. Why didn't I think of that? It's so obvious. I think I'm letting my nervousness take over. I'm definetly going use this tip. Thanks!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 7, 2007

Pretty much what I was going to suggest. And Answers.com is your new best friend.

8. Tante

Tante New Member

Jun 8, 2007

I am taking the ELA 8-12 on June 16. I am certified in Special Ed. and have taught English & Reading to my special students for two years. I now need to pass this test. I have taken it twice and failed both times! I am having trouble with the essay. I am not an English major and English was my hardest subject in school. I have received a couple good tips. First, use the process of elimination on the multiple-choice answers. Most can be narrowed down to two answers. From there think about the student when answering the questions. What is best for the student? How would those who wrote the test want the question answered? The last time I took the test I had everything go wrong that could go wrong on my 1½-hour drive to the test site. I got stuck behind a train, and then there was a wreck so traffic was slow. I needed a potty stop but couldn’t due to the time. I was late and a nervous wreck! Don’t make that mistake. Arrive early, get plenty of rest the night before and be sure to eat before the test.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

Tante, let me suggest leafing through the threads on CSET English, which covers grades 8 through 12: some of the discussions in there, and some of the resources mentioned, are likely to pertain to what you need to do.

10. Koolness

Koolness Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Thanks for the advice. The ELA 4-8 doesn't require an essay and writing is one of my strong points, that kind of sucks for me. But your are right when you say to go early, I have to drive across town for the test. Good luck to you on your test!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

Koolness, do multiple choice questions give you grief?

12. Koolness

Koolness Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Somewhat, I sometimes second guess myself but process of elimination is extremely helpful.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2007

Try this also:

Pretend the question is actually a fill-in or very short answer question (cover the possible answers with your hand). Answer. See which of the possible answers can be persuaded to correspond to the answer you came up with.

14. ZEP

ZEP Rookie

May 31, 2018

15. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 31, 2018

I took the texes 4-8 elar in 2016. It was easy. The 7-8 elar was a lot more difficult.

16. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 1, 2018

You guys bumped an 11-year old thread.

17. ZEP

ZEP Rookie

Jun 1, 2018

I took the English 4-8 twice 1st time I need it 5pts yo pase 2 yrs ago. And last week I took it and lacking of 16pts. What can I do to pass?

18. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jun 1, 2018

Go to barns n Noble, look for teacher prep booklets, and take the practice tests there. Of course, don't write on the books; bring your own paper.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  19. littlebitliz

littlebitliz New Member

Mar 16, 2019

I saw someone mentioned earlier in this thread that there is no essay on the ELAR 4-8 - can anyone confirm this? The study guide I bought at B&N has a sample essay question, but nowhere else have I seen any mention of an essay on the test. I've been pretty anxious about doing an essay, so it would really ease my nerves if it turns out there isn't one!

20. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Mar 16, 2019

Doesn’t look there is an essay portion (start reading on page 4): https://www.tx.nesinc.com/content/docs/117PrepManual.pdf

Also, the above link has practice multiple choice questions and so I think you should answer those. Good luck!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 18, 2019

The original TExES exams, like the original GACE exams for Georgia, were products of Pearson's predecessor NES; most of the exams in the series combined multiple-choice and constructed-response questions more or less as California's CSET exams do. ETS took over Texas state testing a few years later and eliminated constructed responses from most of the tests. I see that Pearson regained the contract and began offering slightly revised tests and preparation materials as of September 2018. The preparation book that littlebitliz found may well have first seen print in the days of the original TExES.

The gold standard for what a given teacher test can test and its question types is always the most current information on the test's official website.

futuremathsprof likes this.