TExES EC-6 Core Subjects advice offered

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by TXSPEDteacher, Jul 4, 2017.

1. TXSPEDteacher

TXSPEDteacher Rookie

Jul 4, 2017

I just passed all 5 sections (scores ranging from 275-298). I'm a former high school teacher with NO elementary training other than PE. My district required this exam for me to do elementary Special Ed. If you need any help with this exam, please ask and I'll do my best to help.

3. JClark2013

JClark2013 Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

I just took my test today actually and I was surprised by Math and Fine Arts. There is simply not enough time in Math and Music/Art threw me off plenty. SS and Science felt like a breeze. English was so/so, but I believe I passed that. However, I might need some help IF I have to retake. Do you mind if I private message you? So glad I saw this.

TXSPEDteacher likes this.
  4. TXSPEDteacher

TXSPEDteacher Rookie

Jul 15, 2017

No problem. I'll do my best to help. I only missed four questions in math, but I was very pressed for time. And I'm good in math. That section needs at least an hour.

5. TXSPEDteacher

TXSPEDteacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I'll also add that I felt VERY unsure about the math and ELA section, yet I passed both with plenty room to spare.

6. JClark2013

JClark2013 Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

Sorry I'm just now replying. I got my scores back today and passed everything, but Math. I walked out pretty sure I failed Math, but was confident about everything else so I'm satisfied with the results (especially since now I just have to go back and only take Math by itself). Do you have any tips or tricks with getting through the Math area? I'll have to review that hard so I can retake and pass on the next attempt.

7. TXSPEDteacher

TXSPEDteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2017

So for math, I had quite a bit of questions about place value and how to teach it. My best advice is to work through each problem once, choose an answer, then move on. Don't skip any- if you aren't sure, guess the first time though and flag it. The time goes by SO fast, so if you at least guess the first time though, you know you at least gave each one a shot instead of possibly running out of time and leaving some unanswered.

I also recall having several questions that were pattern related- I found those easiest to work backwards. Plug in the answer choices one by one to see if they make sense. I found math to be the hardest- and I'm good in math. But the questions were worded very strangely and I remember one seeming flat out wrong. I only missed four in this section and I was shocked. I think many of the ones that gave me trouble were the field testers. You may find that the second time though is much easier because you won't be mentally drained from the other sections. Best of luck!

8. xdelilah

xdelilah New Member

Aug 2, 2017

Hi just wondering are there alot of problems to be solved? Is it alot of theories or ways to teach the problem? I just hate solving math problems!

9. TXSPEDteacher

TXSPEDteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2017

I would say 75% required calculation.

10. JClark2013

JClark2013 Rookie

Oct 12, 2017

I was told over the phone by an agent at TEXES that a calculator program is built into the test program on the computer and offers formulas. Can anyone confirm?

Taking the 802 on the 25th.