texes ec-4 generalist

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by wannateachintx, Sep 22, 2006.

1. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Sep 22, 2006

Hi. I recently took my ec-4 generalist through the computer. There were 110 questions on the test. After it was completed, I got a print out of an unofficial score report that had a breakdown of the questions I answered correctly and incorrectly. I got 71 out of the 100 questions correctly. It did not count ten in. Would this be the "test" questions that they already took off or would that still be coming? I have spoken to a couple of teachers and they said I did pass it but I am just so afraid that I in fact did not pass it. I know the scale is 100-300 with 240 the minimum to pass. Anyone have any ideas if I did or didn't pass it? Thanks.

Hollie

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 22, 2006

I make no promises here, but as a rule 70% correct on a teacher test is on track to pass.

4. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

I got the unofficial official score, 252!!!!! I am so excited right now!!!!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 26, 2006

Well done, wannateachintx! Please be sure you celebrate your accomplishment!

6. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

Way to go!!! That is just wonderful! How long did it take before you got your official score???

I think I will be taking mine on December 9th. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a few questions.

I am curious as to what study guides you were recommended to use, which ones you used, and which one you found the most helpful. I was told to get Preparing for the Texas Prek-4 Teacher Certification by Nath and Cohen. I think its red. In case it matters, I have 2.5 years of substituting under my belt.

I've also heard that the questions on the SBEC manual are absolutely nothing like the test. I sort of find that hard to believe. What was your opinion on that? I did answer those 45 questions in the SBEC manual before I even started in my alternative cert program and I only missed 4. I felt so good about it but now everything I read about people not passing and taking the test 3 or 4 times is freaking me out!!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 26, 2006

It's true that some people struggle with teacher tests... but most people struggle less than all the horror stories suggest.

8. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

I should have scored a lot higher because I knew a lot of the information. My strongest suit is language arts yet I did only average on that. Study that section really good as it counts 40% of the test. I did really well in the other areas.

Areas I would study include scattergraph (that was on test.) Study the regions of the world. For instance, there was a question that dealt with a globe and you had to identify what section (forgot what country it asked) it was such as mountains, plateaus, desert, etc. I know this is asking a lot but DO NOT stress out. I stayed up till early morning of the test studying and panicking that I forgot something. Relax, get plenty of sleep and you will be fine. Be sure to go over each question afterwards if time allows. Good luck!

9. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Sep 26, 2006

Thank you so much for responding. That is very helpful information. I need to run out and get that book and get going.

Thanks again and congrats again. You should be proud

10. dway

dway New Member

Oct 27, 2006

Congrats!

Hollie;
    I just took the test today, and I to scored a 71. I sure hope I pass!

Congratulations to you!

Deanna

11. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Nov 1, 2006

:D :wow: Way to go!!!! I hope you did too. I take mine on November 14th. Did you take paper or Computer based? Did you find the Language arts part the most difficult? Any big surprises? Anything you wish you studied more? I am so nervous. :eek:

Oh and does anyone know if your official score is public? Or is that just between you and the SBEC? Do you need to tell the people you interview with what your score was? Do they care?

freaking out in Texas,
    souptunuts

12. dway

dway New Member

Nov 1, 2006

You'll Be Fine

I got my scaled score and received a 253!

I didn't study anything, I just went through the questions in the study guide from sbec and the book "Preparing for the Texas PreK-4 Teacher Certification."

Good luck on your test!

Deanna

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 1, 2006

Way to go, dway!

14. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Nov 19, 2006

TExES PPR exam ec-4

hi there

I took my TExES ec-4 last week. My official score is 288.

Has anyone taken the PPR EC-4? I'm curious if it is the same degree of difficulty or if it is harder or easier. I also was curious if we had to know actual Law numbers or just what the laws are.

Thanks!

15. doozie

doozie Rookie

Nov 28, 2006

EC-4 Test

I took the EC-4 test today. I had 75 correct out of 100. My friend took it this summer with 76 right and scored a 240. I read where others getting 71 correct scoring higher than 240. Does anyone know how they figure the scale score and is it possible that I passed with 75 correct??? Thanks for any information.

16. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Nov 28, 2006

I got 71 correct out of 100 and I made a 252. From what I heard, it depends on the version of test as to the scaled scored. Not making any guarantees but with 75, I would assume you passed. Keep us updated.

17. doozie

doozie Rookie

Nov 28, 2006

wannateachintx do you have a breakdown of your scores? example of how many you had correct out of the number possible in English, Social Studies, Math, etc.??? thanks for your help.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 29, 2006

Warning: in teacher tests (and, actually, most standardized exams), the number of questions correct doesn't usually translate straightforwardly to a passing score, partly because questions are weighted differently to try to equalize the difficulty of different versions of the test. In addition, many standardized exams include at least some questions that don't count because they're being field-tested.

19. doozie

doozie Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

I PASSED WITH A 258!!!!! NOW I HAVE TO PREPARE FOR THE PPR. HOW DOES THAT TEST COMPARE TO THE EC-4?

20. souptunuts

souptunuts Rookie

Dec 4, 2006

Doozie_

Congrats! Way to go. I have the same question with regards to the PPR. I take the PPR this friday. I heard it is common sense and easier than the content test. However, a friend of mine just took it and thought it was harder than the content test- but then again she studied a ton for the content test and none for the PPR.

I think she said there were 90 questions on it but I thought there were only 80. Maybe it has those 10 "test" test questions like the Content test had.

I got the book Becoming an Ec-4 Teacher in Texas by Janice Nath, which was recommended by my ACP and am going through that. The book, although 400+ pages, is a pretty easy read and areas repeat themselves. It is set up to coincide with the test. All I am doing is reading it and then maybe going back through and hitting on the different learning styles and some of the legal stuff.

I will come back here and post after I take it and let you know what I thought.

If anyone has any feedback or study tips they could share, I surely would appreciate it.

21. LGR123

LGR123 Rookie

Dec 5, 2006

Hi Everyone!

Like a lot of y'all I am very concerned about my TEXES score. I took the exam today and scored a 78 out of 100. I didn't do as well on the Language Arts and Reading section as I should have, and missed the majority of my questions in that area. I only received a 27 out of 40 in that domain. I did very well in the rest of the domains only missing one or tow but, I am so scared that when they scale the tests I will not pass because I am thinking that the most weighted questions will be in the Language Arts area (13 wrong in that area for me). Anyone know or have any advice???

I am sooooo nervous!