Texes EC-4 Bilingual Exam 103

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by armygirl8894, Jun 2, 2007.

1. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jun 2, 2007

Hello, I am new to this site. I'm embarrased about sharing this but I feel the need to. I have taken the Texes EC-4 Bilingual exam 4 times already and get so close to that passing score but always never the actual passing score of 240. I've gone to tutoring, bought plenty of study materials and studied religiously and still can't seem to pass it. What am I doing or not doing? I've become pretty depressed about the whole thing and am discouraged to even try it again. I am registered to take it again June 16th. Is there anyone out there who has been in my situation and who could offer some good advice? I would greatly appreciate it. THANKS!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2007

I notice that EC-4 103 consists of several domains: bilingual education (about 37%); English/language arts (about 25%); math, science, and social studies (about 10% each); and arts/PE/health (about 10% all together). Does your score report get specific about the domains in which you're coming up short?

4. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jun 3, 2007

Yes, my score report does break down my weaknesses in each domain. The domain I am most struggling with is Domain 2- ELA. There are 40 questions and I'm only getting half right, an average of 22-27 correct. So I study that domain by each competency and then the day of the test I feel like I'm ready and answer as best as possible and feel somewhat confident but then when I recieve my test results it's another failure and I'm back to retaking it again only to fall short. What else can I do?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2007

Hm. Are there any questions on the TExES Web site that aren't quite making sense for you? (They're in a document that's in the public domain. I figure that makes them fair game.) If so, post 'em here and let's talk.

6. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

texes EC-4 Bil. Test

Wow, TeacherGroupie, I would first like to tell you that for someone who lives in California, you sure are knowledgeable with tests from Texas and elsewhere. I've read your comments and advice with others on this forum and you seem pretty knowledgeable. To my reply to your last response, in the tutoring that I took the lady doing the tutoring said to use Bloom's taxonomy when answering the ?'s. She also had advice on positive and negative words that are used in the answer responses. For example, allow,provide,promote,encourage,etc. and negative-memorize,eliminate,prompt,make,minimize,etc. She said these key words would be helpful in choosing the right answer. I found they were helpful but sometimes tricky. She had different kinds of strategies like these. I think I will continue to study all the material I have because there are many things dealing with ELA. I think I would have to many ?'s. I thank you.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2007

Hm. So EC-4 covers quite a span of ages... do you feel more of an affinity for the upper end of the range or for the lower end?

8. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

Yes, this test covers early childhood - 4th grade. Many ?'s on the test are for these grade levels and are in no order. ?'s are all over, dealing with Competencies 5-15 in ELA, lots of different scenerios that are asked for each grade dealing with a broad range of ELA. I have more knowledge and liking for the lower grades, in particular pre-k, kinder, 1st grade. I did my student teaching in 1st grade and have done lots of substituting in these grades and feel very comfortable teaching these grade levels. When I do get my certification I would like to teach one these grade levels.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2007

Okay, so it sounds like you might need to lean a little harder on the fluency-comprehension end of things than on the phoneme-decoding end.

As you study, and as you take the test, try imagining your very favorite little kids projected in age to where the upper-end question is relevant - and desperately needs to be answered. In other words, practice putting human faces on the material as you study and on the questions as you test.

A couple of Web sites that could come in handy:

http://readwritethink.org/
    http://www.nwrel.org/assessment/scoring.php
    http://www.learner.org/
    http://web.dps.k12.va.us/ParkAve/spelling.htm
    http://www.sedl.org
    http://www.nifl.gov/partnershipforreading/glossary/glossary.html

10. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

Okay, TeacherGroupie I will look at the websites you suggested and use your advice on putting a face to the ?'s. I think I have a better perspective now with the info you have shared. Thank you for all your help and advice. I'll let you know how my studying is working as the days go by. If I have anymore ?'s can I get your input? Thanks again!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 5, 2007

(chuckling)

Well, you know where to find me...

12. luvteaching25

luvteaching25 Rookie

Jun 8, 2007

Take 101 before 102

Have you tried to take the regular EC-4 and then the Supplemental Exam? I met a couple of teachers that told me that the 103 is more diffucult to pass than if you divide it? I took the 101 first and will be taking the Supplement in a couple of weeks.

13. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jun 9, 2007

In response to Luvteaching25, in my case I cannot split the exams because when I graduated college I started taking the exam as a whole and at the university where I graduated from they will not allow me to split the exams once I started this way. They are pretty strict and believe me I have tried pleading my case to them but they will not budge. I have also heard from many teachers that I probably would have passed a long time ago had I been able to split the exams. I'll just keep trying to pass, I'm not giving up! Good luck to you.

14. sec4lf

sec4lf New Member

Jun 15, 2007

Awh, I find myself in your boat. I will too be taking the Ec-4 Bilingual Supplement on June 16th. Now, I took the generalist blindfolded. I didn't know what I was doing and thank god I passed it. But now to continue working bil. I have to pass the test and this is my 5th time taking it. Have you heard any other advice on the bilingual part of it? I think that taking it together increases your odds of passing. The supplement is strictly bilingual. EEK:

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 15, 2007

sec4lf, This isn't a test I'm hugely familiar with, but if you can be more specific about what's got you stuck, I might be able to come up with some resources for you. Do your score reports break the test down by domains? If so, where do they show that you're coming to grief?

16. ferpato

ferpato New Member

Jul 24, 2007

To armygirl8894

For others messages from you that i have read, i understand that you already passed the TEXES 103?? Congratulations for all your effort,

Now it is my turn to take the texes 103

Any advice to help me , i just begin to study for the next exam , any book, tip, etc., you are now a master

17. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

army girl did you tutor with mrs. aguilar??? Those techniques sound familiar. I took the 101 first passed and now going on to take the bilingual supp. I didn't want to risk it.

18. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

gmer22, yes I did tutor with Mrs. Auguilar. She really helped me after I struggled with the exam for so long. I heard about her tutoring from a friend who had been to her after she had decided to split the test. However, I decided to be brave (dumb) and do all the test (103) and where am I now barely passing after 4 attempts. But I can breathe easier because now I have a job starting in Aug. as a 1st grade teacher. Yeah!!! So if you are tutoring with her pay attention to all the little clues and "good and bad" words because they definately helped me out. Also, all those little questions that people who have taken the test come back with, they are definately on the test. Study everything she gives you and whatever you do, do NOT procrastinate about your studying. Study, Study, Study!!! I'm sure you will do fine. Everyone that I know of since graduating from college has split the test and passed. So I'm sure you'll be another one added to that list. Good Luck!!

P.S. I'm (was) a Valley girl myself but now I live somewhere else. I miss the Valley. I try to go as often as I can.

19. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

ferpato, I would split that test if I were you. Take the EC-4 Generalist first, then the Bilingual Supplement 102. Trust me. I should have done that when I had the chance but I decided to risk it thinking I could do it all (103). Have you registered for the test (103)this August? If you haven't, register for the EC-4, I know this will be better for you. Then you can go back and take the Bil. Suppl. 102 for your bil. endorsement. But if you have registered for the (103), I would tell you to study all your competencies. Think of the test as the perfect school setting, where it's all about the child and not the teacher. On this site I came across something that could probably help you and others.

C- cooperative learning
    H- (HOTS) Higher Order Thinking Skills, Bloom's Taxonomy
    I- Integrated lessons (multiple subjects at once)
    L- Learner centered ( all about the students, not the teacher)
    D- diversity

Use these when answering your questions. Remember a perfect school with perfect students. Everything for the student always.
    Good luck to you!:)

20. gmer22

gmer22 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Aww Mrs. Aguilar is a great tutor...I passed the 101 thanks to her. What school district will you be working for?

21. armygirl8894

armygirl8894 Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

I will be working for San Diego ISD. A small ranching community about 45 min. from where I live. I'm hoping to get my first year exp. and then move on somewhere else. I would love to go back to the Valley and teach there. I'd like to try and get in with Edinburg ISD or La Feria ISD. I'm just thankful for the job. I'm very ready to start teaching. How about you, where or are you teaching?