Texas Teacher's Certification Process

Discussion in 'General Education' started by agarTeach, Jul 23, 2017.

1. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Jul 23, 2017

Once a candidate complete all the required course work towards 'Teachers Certification program', will they be qualified to apply for full time teacher positions at school level (Middle/junior/high) ?
    Any advise or pointers will be of great help.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 23, 2017

Have you graduated yet?

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 23, 2017

I'm just going out on a limb and saying that all of the course work AND the successful passing scores required on the teacher certification exams that are required by the Texas DOE. Hot on the heels of that, you will also need a clear background check. If you knew how many times people have posted here about sweating the background check because of DUI's or other arrests or convictions. Seems like those things should be a concern before applying for a job, yet the letters show up every hiring season

5. Kat.

Kat. Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

You can apply. I was a long term sub and was basically told I'd get hired on once I passed all my tests, but during my observations at a high school one teacher told me another had failed his test but they still hired him and gave him the year to retake and pass it.

You're talking about Texas Teachers Alt Certification program, right?

6. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

Yes, I have! I am a degree-candidate (science) trying to get into school teaching

7. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

Thanks!

8. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Jul 24, 2017

Yes, I am talking about Texas Teachers Alternate Certification program. Just to be sure, you are saying school ISDs hire candidates (I understand I can apply) who have just completed pedagogy courses and have field observation experience?

Another question is- most jobs posted online are 'certified' jobs and hence only certified people can apply, how can an intern apply for these jobs? Needless to say, if the schools will get certified candidates most of the time, why will they consider interns? And then how interns will become certified since having a full time position is a pre-req for becoming certified (unless one wants to pay the $$$$ to get certified and without worrying about getting a full time job)?

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 24, 2017

You can apply but a fully certified teacher will probably be chosen over you. At this time of the year though, all the good candidates have been taken so if there is an opening, it's certainly possible you could get the job.

Once you are certified, you'll be on even playing field. It's just getting that first job that's tough.

agarTeach likes this.
  10. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Aug 17, 2017

I have been told that subbing helps in getting a full-time job and it make sense- the school gets to see the candidate in real-time and whether he/she will be a good fit for their school..

I have applied for subbing positions. I am open to 5-6 ISDs and I am for 7-12 grade, can anyone give me an idea how many subbing opportunities I may get if I am willing to do all 5 days/week? May be a rough number say 80-120 days or more or less/year...

How long does it take for a sub to get a full-time job? I understand it depends on subject/grade/how many ISDs one is applying to? I actively started applying by the end of June and I am very flexible and open to most ISDs, any idea how much time time it may take to secure a full-time job?

Do ISDs hire all year round or is it only at the beginning of academic year, that means hiring is done during Feb-July for both Fall and Spring semester?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  11. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 18, 2017

Some hiring happens year round- things happen, openings occur. Just not as many openings. How large the districts affects chances of openings.

agarTeach likes this.
  12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Aug 18, 2017

The districts don't hire in July for January. The openings in January usually are not planned ahead of time, unless it's a retiree who is ready to get out the door. There are not as many openings after school starts, but things happen so keep checking for vacancies and applying.

agarTeach likes this.
  13. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Aug 19, 2017

FYI if you are in the DFW area, there's a DFW teacher group in Facebook and there are still positions available. My district is needing bilingual teachers still. PM if you want more info.

14. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Aug 21, 2017

Thank You! I am quite far from that area but appreciate you sharing the information.....

15. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 21, 2017

[QUOTE="agarTeach,
    • I am talking about Texas Teachers Alternate Certification program. [/QUOTE]
    Hello Agar: I'm interested in the TEXAS TEACHERS ALTERNATE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM that you graduated from. How was it?
    • Was it a LOT of work to do?
    • How long did it take you to complete?
    • How much did it cost?
    • When you finished, did you receive a clear TX teaching credential?
    Thanks for responding.

16. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Aug 22, 2017

Although I can't answer most of your Texas questions, one answer should be self evident. In any AR program, you are substituting your hard work both in the classroom and in the AR instruction to take the place of formal college coursework. I have mentioned on other AR threads that if you are actually doing the program correctly, you will be working your behind off, because this should be hard, but productive. If the Texas program is similar to the NJ program, there is more than one program, and more than a single price. I always encourage people to do due diligence to make sure that they understand all of the nuances of the varied program requirements.

DAH likes this.
  17. agarTeach

agarTeach Rookie

Aug 23, 2017

Hello Agar: I'm interested in the TEXAS TEACHERS ALTERNATE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM that you graduated from. How was it?
    • Was it a LOT of work to do?
    • How long did it take you to complete?
    • How much did it cost?
    • When you finished, did you receive a clear TX teaching credential?
    Thanks for responding.[/QUOTE]

I am still in the process of getting the certification...so not done yet!
    you have to first complete their course work, observation in a classroom, clear the subject exam you want to teach, get a job (it is YOUR responsibility), after getting the job finish the rest of the course material and then give the final state exam....to get the certificate

the course work has 20 -25 modules and roughly may take 4-6 h. you can do this online.

30 h of class observation is needed, 15 out of this can be done online, rest has to be in class..

initial cost is around $300 and after getting the job, you have to pay around $4200

The program provides guidelines/information...arrange multiple job fairs but it is up to you to get the interview and the job!!

Hope it helps!

DAH likes this.