Texas, need help! Signed a 3 year contract. Can I end it this summer?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JMT82, May 12, 2017.

1. JMT82

JMT82 Rookie

May 12, 2017

Hi everyone,

In 2016, I was so excited to get my first teaching job in the state, I accepted the first job offered. At that time, I didn't have much thought over the 2016-2019 period. As the year is coming to an end, is it possible for me to resign without any penalties. I understand that teachers can resign 45 days before the first instruction day of the following year. Will this apply to me? I am currently in a charter school and I'm looking at teaching in a school district.
    A few weeks back, I took a content test and will be receiving my probationary certificate soon. I chatted with a few people there and realized that the pay I receive is about 10k lower than what people are getting. Even if there will be a slight raise with my probationary certificate, I am still looking at about 6k lower than the standard pay structure. It doesn't really matter much if I'm living alone but I'm looking at marriage and starting a family in the coming year. The differences in pay will mean a lot then.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

May 13, 2017

What does your contract say? I've only worked for public schools who only offered yearly contracts. It should be spelled out in your contract. If it's not, ask.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 13, 2017

At a charter, what would the penalties even be? Charter employees are typically "at will," which means not only that they can let you go at any time, but that you can leave at any time. You're going to have to check with the school itself. Start by reading your contract. Nothing that applies to public schools will likely apply to you at a charter.

I'm getting a $10k raise next year going from charter to public. The difference actually increases dramatically overtime and becomes $20k plus. So I totally get it. I hope you're able to get out.

5. JMT82

JMT82 Rookie

May 13, 2017

The contract didn't state any termination on my part. It stated that the school can terminate my contract anytime with so reason whatsoever. It did stated that the contract is at will from 2016 to 2019. However, it also stated that the school reserve the rights to SBEC if employee does not complete their contract.

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 14, 2017

What do you mean by SBEC? I google it and it seems to be your certification in Texas? Do you mean they can pull your certification?

7. JMT82

JMT82 Rookie

May 14, 2017

Yes, it's for Texas. They have the right to suspend my certification if i resign in the middle of the year without cause. But since school year is ending, I'm not too sure about how things go.

8. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

May 14, 2017

The charter school I work at is technically at-will. We can leave anytime, also can get fired at anytime.
    A three year contract seems crazy.

9. JMT82

JMT82 Rookie

May 16, 2017

Just realized that we don't get subsidy for healthcare. So, the monthly premium is high.

10. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

May 16, 2017

So your school can let you go at will at any time, but you're locked in? Hmmmmmm

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 16, 2017

What it sounds like is you can leave between years with little to no consequence. If your contract doesn't explicitly state the consequences, then in my opinion, they don't exist. The only consequence listed is for quitting in the middle of the year.

It seems what you have is a "3-year contract" (emphasis: quotation marks).