"Test" grades for random stuff?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by RussianBlueMommy, Sep 21, 2018.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 24, 2018

If they don’t like to see F’s, are saying you need to get creative, and require you to give so much extra credit to make the offending students pass, then you ARE being forced to artificially inflate grades.

ALL grading should be based on mastery.

2. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 24, 2018

The "get creative" was more in response to my instruction, etc. The coach thinks I should do stations and just follow all the low kids around the whole time. I obviously can't do that every time so ...

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Sep 24, 2018

True. That is an unrealistic expectation as you need to help all of your students equally.

This is why I constantly advocate for ability grouping and separate classes...

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Groupie

Sep 24, 2018

My classes are ability grouped but even within this I have a range + very large class sizes.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 25, 2018

A grade of C to me indicates average effort and/or understanding. The average on most of my tests is a 78 percent. I'll sometimes curve so that the average is an 80, if there was some reason I think the grades are artificially low. A grade of D indicates below-average success with the material. Our lowest D is a 67 percent. Not everyone can be average. I usually have about equal numbers Bs and Cs, a few less of Ds and As, and a handful of Fs, usually from students who are missing assignments. It's not exactly a bell curve, but it fits my courses and student population.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 25, 2018

Probably because parents complain if their special snowflake refuses to study for tests and then fails them. They have to do something to compensate.

Upsadaisy and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 25, 2018

In some of my middle school classes we had a binder check once per quarter and that was counted for a grade but I'm thinking it wasn't a test grade or a heavily weighted grade. My guess is the teacher was trying to scare us into being organized ;)

8. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Sep 25, 2018

The newest issue (I’m still waiting for the math teach to respond to me). Every failed assignment can be “corrected” for a 70. So today, I got a grade alert that my kid got a 45 on a math quiz. He tells me “it’s no big deal I can correct it for a 70”. Then tells me “I know the material now”. Which is the go-to excuse for every failing paper “I DID FAIL but now I know the stuff and why” -_-

I have to wonder what he is learning from that?the High school I work in, teachers can’t allow bonus points or corrections for a better grade. Math is his only class that does this stuff

9. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 8, 2018

Evidently, it is a high-school wide policy, that any failing paper- test or otherwise can be corrected for a 70. So it's official, no student fails....

futuremathsprof and otterpop like this.
  10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 8, 2018

As long as they actually correct it.

While this is a crap policy, I'd bet that there are still students who don't even care enough to do the corrections.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Oct 8, 2018

Test and quizzes grades should only be tests and quizzes. A binder check could count for a few points for classwork or something like this, but not under tests and quizzes. That is dishonest. Points for a coloring page in high school and put under tests and quizzes??? That should be listed in the Webster dictionary under the word "wrong".

futuremathsprof likes this.
  12. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 9, 2018

futuremathsprof and mathmagic like this.
  13. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 9, 2018

That looks very well done! Do you happen to have a Word format of that that might be able to be edited to suit a more elementary setting? I'd love to adapt that for use in my classroom possibly.

14. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Oct 9, 2018

I have no idea, the Principal tells me they used a pre-made form. In doing some research, I found an extremely similar one in DOC format that can be edited.

https://d3jc3ahdjad7x7.cloudfront.net/tUVtYJcOniWNoktnxPNm1QJSXXxUsv1oHbtaKbPK3QjnnTKN.doc

I also found this freebie which you can download https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Test-Corrections-Template-FREEBIE-2075070

mathmagic likes this.
  15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 10, 2018

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Only in America.