Terminating care for a child....

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by saralynn2006, Nov 13, 2012.

1. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 13, 2012

I have had reoccurring issues with behavior of one of my preschool children (age 4), as well as reoccurring issues with his parents paying on time. I had a parent of another child (age 2) tell me today that their child had learned inappropriate language from the above child, and was very upset. The 2 yr old child had told their mom that they learned the word boob from the 4 year old. I did not hear the 4 year old say the word, but he has said inappropriate things before (it would not surprise me if he did say boob). I just don't know how to go about terminating care for this child. I have his pt conference on Friday evening and was going to bring it up then. I have not received my payment for the last 3 weeks of care, so I would also like to wait until I at least receive that as well as I am sure I will not see anything after I tell them about this incident. Any suggestions for this dilemma? I will be out over 300 dollars if she decides to up and leave without paying for the last weeks of care! :(

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

Do you have a contract with this parent?

4. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Nov 13, 2012

I would not be comfortable terminating care for a child based on something another parent had told me about that child. You would need carefully documented evidence of problems and the strategies you have used to address these. If the problem is lack of payment rather than behaviour, this is a legal matter. You should have procedures in place to deal with this. I would raise the language issue (not such a big deal, a fairly mild word really) and I would discuss some plans for payment and consequences for lack of payment.

5. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Nov 13, 2012

Excellent advice.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 13, 2012

I would refer back to the payment policy & follow that.

As for the behavior issues, make sure you document what you saw him do & the consequences for his behavior.

7. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 13, 2012

This is not his first behavior problem. I have witnessed him talking inappropriately with a school age child I care for (telling her shes so beautiful that he can't stop looking at her, telling her that her hair smells good, etc.)....just things that a 4 year old shouldn't really be saying. He has also talked about his mother's bras, and even asked me out on a date!!! :help: I have not been as strict with his parent regarding paying as I should be :eek:, but the behavior problems are the real issue here. I don't want these problems to continue escalating until more parents start to complain about it. I just don't really know how to go about solving this situation. I have never had to terminate care for anyone before, so I am just very nervous! I don't know if I should give the parent a final warning about pay and his behavior issues, or just terminate now. It has been ongoing since he started in July and just has gotten progressively worse.

8. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 13, 2012

I think the best thing, if you'd be okay with it, would be to have a set of procedures in place that ended in termination, but with intermediate steps that the parent was informed of. For example, there might be a suspension, or there might be a warning - ideally 3 or more steps in place to warn the family and attempt corrective action. Certainly part of this process, if resources are available, would be coming up with a behavior plan, monitoring that plan, and trying a second round of strategies if the first didn't work out. As this process happens, the parents knows that you're moving in a bad direction which could result in termination at some point in a few months. This way the parent has warning, can help make things better, and you can say you've tried a number of things, and have run out of resources to address the situation.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 13, 2012

That's a lot of work to accommodate parents who aren't even paying for services.

Non-payment is enough to warrant termination of services, in my opinion, especially if this has been an ongoing issue. What does your contract with the parent say about payment?

10. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 13, 2012

I agree with you. As a private provider, I think you can always determine that the family isn't meeting your criteria and move to terminate. My comments were more related to a focus on making sure you've done everything possible for the family. As a business, you wouldn't owe that to the family, but from a more "mission-related" perspective I personally would feel inclined to try my best to help the child.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Nov 13, 2012

The daycare I worked for had a policy for nonpayment that was pretty clear - payment was due on Tuesday and if it was not recived by Friday (with a late charge) the kids would not be admitted Monday morning. Since you have been having a payment problem, I would give them some notice to come completely up to date within a week or care will be terminated.

The behaviors you described don't sound that bad, really, just odd, but it is privare care, so you are really in control. Again, I would tell the parents that his behavior is not acceptable and they have 1-2 weeks to find alternate care (this depends on how hard it is to find child care in your area).

12. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 13, 2012

My policy states that they will be charged late fees if they don't pay on time, which I do charge....but it is just getting them to pay in general that has been a problem. This is the 6th time they have paid late since July, which is really frustrating. I don't want to be out the money for care by terminating them before I get paid for the past few weeks, but I don't want to continue to provide care when I am not being paid for it!

The behaviors in context just are very inappropriate. I know the parent of the 2 year old child was very upset after hearing her child say "Grandma turn around so I can see your boobs." I just don't want to be in the situation where parents know that I know there is a behavior problem and the problem is not improving. I have tried redirecting, talking to the parents, talking with the child about appropriate social interactions, etc. but nothing has helped. If anything, the behaviors have gotten worse after I have started caring for a girl in Kindergarten after school. The inappropriate comments that were usually directed at me have now been directed at her. It's just a very uncomfortable situation for her to be in the target for his inappropriate comments.

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 13, 2012

Be very careful when terminating for behavior. Oregon Child Care Division has steps you must follow.

I would use the nonpayment to exclude.

14. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 13, 2012

Non payment is the easiest way to terminate. After that, it gets rather grey. If she is habitually late but is currently paid in full you might have to wait until the family ceases payment again. Otherwise, cut you loses and terminate. Waiting at this point for the 3 weeks you are already behind is just going to make you and the other children more stressed out.

In the future, add a line to your contract that states that the children will not be accepted if there are issues with payment, and in addition......keep charging late fees...just don't let them accumulate. Termination will also help you retain the families that you do have.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Nov 14, 2012

You have been given very good advise, so far.

I just wanted to add that while I support you terminating for non-payment, I personally feel a child should not be terminated for what is essentially developmentally appropriate behavior, however irritating it might be. The behaviors you described are pretty minor, considering the wide range of behaviors you will see in your career. You need to be prepared to handle them, even when your first efforts don't work or other parents complain. Where else is a child to learn socially appropriate behaviors than at preschool (and home)? Isn't that our job? Unless there is serious physical harm or issues of safety, every child deserves (not sure that is the right word) a safe place to learn.

In the interests of full disclosure, recently I have to repeat that to myself as a mantra when I am really frustrated (like a million times a day) dealing with the most frustrating child I have ever experienced. Smart kid, no known issues except he seems to not care about right or wrong, consequences of any type, feelings or perspective of others, etc. etc. In short, scary!

16. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 14, 2012

That is very true. This boy is so smart as well, however, I think his family situation just contributes to the inappropriate behaviors. He says that his mom never plays with him, just tells him to go watch movies on Netflix (his favorite movie is Titanic.....not very age appropriate!) I don't know if it would be bad for me to mention some more appropriate at home activities for the family or not. The mother is just very hard to talk to and if I don't terminate the contract, I don't want to make things more awkward than they already are. I am still debating what I should do. I just started my business in June so I don't want this family to bad mouth me after the good reputation I have built up so far. I also don't want to be in the situation where I keep the child and then have other parents mad at me and decide to go elsewhere. It is such a hard decision! :help:

17. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Nov 15, 2012

I have never had my own childcare business, but I have worked in lots of environments for early childhood, and I think nonpayment is a huge issue and grounds for dismissal.
    The behaviors you are describing do not seem that inappropriate to me. Granted I have spent the last 3 years working with Head Start... but if I was searching for care for my child and I heard a child was dismissed for saying "boob" I would tend to not want to enroll my child, because I would fear my very active boy would not "fit" there.
    I can see a reputation for having high child expectations being a positive, but I could also see you getting negative ramifications too.

I would first focus on payment, and if the child stays look into supporting the child's behavior using lots of modeling, shadowing, and positive experiences to promote the social behavior you want.

18. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 15, 2012

My thoughts for dismissing based on behavior are not only based on the fact that he said boob, which I also agree is a mild "swear" word (but the other parent was upset, which was my main concern). He also has made the school age girl in my care uncomfortable with his constant odd compliments (today he was complimenting how beautiful her fingernails were all afternoon). I think I have decided to just give the family one more chance as relating to paying on time, and will definitely go over behavior issues in much greater detail at his conference tomorrow. Do any of you struggle with explaining behavior issues to parents during pick up times? I have some parents that come at the same time, so it's hard to bring up all the behavior concerns because other parents are around. How do you go about explaining troubling behaviors when there are other parents listening???

19. raynepoe

raynepoe Companion

Nov 15, 2012

Can you call the parent at rest/nap time or maybe arrange an off peak time to communicate at yours/their convenience? Some people have used a daily sheet that tells about the day... I would be careful of this because I always worry how writing things down come off, but for some it works well.

BTW I wasn't trying to say that you were making "boob" a criminal offense, but that is how it could be twisted in retellings if this parent bad mouthed you. Hope I didn't offend you.

:wub:

Good Luck and if it makes you feel better, one year I had a whole class of girls and boys breastfeeding dolls for a month in dramatic play, because they saw a woman in a rest room on a field trip.... :eek: I am not anti breastfeeding, but my class became obsessed!

20. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Nov 15, 2012

Hmmmm, although if you need to term for non payment I still am 100% behind you....I am not so sure about the behaviors.

I am sure you see something and it just isn't coming across....but complimenting someone for their painted nails is neither odd nor should the person be offended near as I can tell? If he is complimenting her and not talking about her body parts or other explicit phrases he could pick up on in city parks, subways, playdates in the neighborhood or tv seems sort of ....tame.

I think you might have gotten scared at losing a paying client for a non paying client. That is totally understandable and I think you should keep your mind there...on the issue. Sometimes when we have a child that is from a family that is pushing buttons no matter what the child does it is taken wrong. That isn't good for you or the child. However, if your chief concern is the negative comments of the paying parent....that is a whole different issue.

As a business owner, you have to be strong in your belief that your "product" (in this case your school) is the best in whatever niche you have chosen. If the Mom is offended....that is her right and she has the right to choose where she goes....you counter her fears Not with change but with a discussion of your selling points. When someone is allergic to Tide they don't change the formula...they remind you why they are the best...and you are still allergic....you switch....not them.

Sorta cold...and hopefully you don't have to roll the die between the two choices of parents. That said....if the family was behind in payments....they wouldn't be in my program. Only broke that self made rule once....and NEVER saw the money.

21. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Nov 16, 2012

It is a scary situation to be in. I don't want to offend anyone, regardless of their actions. I have the child's conference tonight, so all of these issues will be brought up then. :unsure: Scary! I really should dismiss them for nonpayment, but just am scared to actually do it! She finally paid for part of her bill yesterday, but has not paid for this week yet. I might just have to suck it up and cut my loses. I'm just afraid what the parents will say to other community members if they are dismissed. I could see them saying things to badmouth my business just because they are mad at being dismissed.