Tenure

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jadorelafrance, May 14, 2017.

1. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

May 14, 2017

I wanted to post something positive and announce that after 4 years of unfulfilling and part time jobs, and 4 years of a wonderful job with great coworkers and kids, but still worrying if I will come back every year full time (there's always the anticipation and anxiety factor, even if everything seems to be going great. I hear so many horror stories), I'd like to announce that I signed my first tenure contract for next year! So happy :)

3. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

May 14, 2017

Congrats!!!!!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2017

Felicitations on your tenure contract, jadorelafrance!

ms.irene likes this.
  5. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 15, 2017

Awesome job! Now please don't become of one of those lazy teachers, like I see when I sub, who gives tenure a bad name!

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 17, 2017

Congratulations! I know I felt much better when I got tenure (in California it's only 2 years).
    That doesn't mean a teacher is going to get lazy, it just means we feel a bit more protected.

My P at the time explained it like this: if a student accuses me of cussing at them, if I'm not tenured, the superintendent might just say that she doesn't want to deal with something like this, just let me go. If I'm tenured, I have at least enough protection that they would investigate, giving me a chance to be cleared.

7. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Comrade

May 17, 2017

4 years until tenure in my state. It's really not possible for me to become "lazy" as we are a very high performing school and I work with very hard-working teachers and get observed/evaluated regularly. I feel held accountable and I want to do a good job!

Thanks everyone! It does feel like an accomplishment as it took me twice as long as someone who would just get a tenure-track job right off the bat! It's also not easy to get tenure at my school and I feel like they must really think I'm great! :)

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Linguist92021 likes this.
  8. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Devotee

May 18, 2017

Yay! Congrats!! There's hope for us non-tenured! :)

jadorelafrance likes this.