Temp contract = non renewal?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherWhoRuns, Jul 10, 2017.

1. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Rookie

Jul 10, 2017

Have any of you heard of a temporary contract being the same as a non-renewal for application purposes?
    I've been on temporary contracts with the same school and district for three years now, hence my seeking other employment. I filled out an application for another district and got an email asking me to "revisit" the section regarding the questions about whether I'd ever had a contract not renewed. I looked at it, and basically determined the answer was "no" because a temporary contract has an ending date and renewal isn't an option.
    Then the HR rep called me and asked me to revisit it again and write a letter explaining why the contract wasn't renewed.
    Am I missing something here?
    A temporary contract has a beginning date and an ending date. In my district that means the job is over. If in the fall the money is there and they post the job again, you reapply and are on another temporary contract.
    Is this the same as a non-renewal?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 10, 2017

Are the contracts temporary because of enrollment numbers? If so, that is much more of a RIF than a non-renewal. If in doubt, revisit the district who has had you on this holding pattern and seek clarification. They should know.

4. TeacherWhoRuns

TeacherWhoRuns Rookie

Jul 10, 2017

The explanation from the district is so that they can be flexible when it comes to enrollment numbers. They do it with both full time contracts and part time support, which is what I am. I never know if my job will even be there until the Fall. It used to be the route to get hired full time in the district, but the last few years they've even begun hiring full time teachers on a temporary basis, so it's just their way. I wrote the letter and explained that I've had the same job for three years under temp contracts, always had positive observations and reviews, and that this is just the way the district chooses to handle contracts. I just hope that check in the non-renewal box doesn't brand me as someone not worth following up on. It's so hard to get interviews where I live!

I was also on hold and very upset with AT&T when the HR rep called me, so I hope I didn't sound aggravated with her when we were discussing this. Now I'm worried about that too!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 10, 2017

The first high school that I worked at had a policy of hiring at the last minute according to enrollment for subjects like art. I found out that a co-worker had already spent two years there on these annual only contracts. They were prepared to offer her year #3 on the same deal, and she turned them down. Her provisional certificate was now permanent, but had she stayed the third year, she would have acquired no years towards tenure, at a time when the beginning of year 4 should have been all about gaining tenure. Her take was that she was RIF'd every year and then rehired as enrollment justified. It's all about money for the district, not about the performance of the employee. It saves the district from paying pensions down the road, or offering more benefits.

If the person who is giving you grief over this is this bull headed, say yes, your contract was not renewed. Proceed with the reduction of force due to uncertain enrollment numbers as an explanation, and you might want to add that you certainly hope this district you have applied to follows this same cost cutting tactic. Best of luck.