Telling Students you are Leaving

Discussion in 'General Education' started by callmebob, Apr 18, 2013.

1. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2013

How long do you wait to tell students you are leaving the school and wont be there next year? I have only ever been at one school, so it has never come up. Not only am I leaving the school, but leaving teaching. I want to let them know, just figuring out the right timing and the right way to say it.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2013

I don't say anything unless the kids ask me.

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2013

And leave them hanging so when they come back they don't know what happened to you. Why?

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2013

I don't think it leaves them hanging at all. Teachers change all the time.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 18, 2013

Agreed! :thumb:

7. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2013

Well I have kids I make connections with. Over the years I have had kids who once they leave my class in the following year or years, they come back down to my room, we visit, talk, etc. It doesn't happen with all students, both those you make strong connections with. And then a lot of the others look forward to just saying hi and seeing you again the following year. If they don't know you are coming back, then they don't get a chance to say good bye, that is harsh.
    I don't get what the negative is in telling them? Why keep that information from them? My class knows all kinds of things about me outside of this classroom.

8. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 18, 2013

It probably depends on the climate of the school-- I know families at my school would probably have a lot of questions if they weren't told who was leaving (and often times why) at the end of each school year. Mine is a smaller private school, though, where teachers teach each class multiple times and become quite familiar with most of the families.

I think it helps the students know that the teacher didn't leave because of them (some students, unfortunately, might take pride in "making" a teacher leave, and others might worry that they caused a teacher to leave). It also probably squelches any potential rumors, such as "he/she got fired" or anything like that. And, most of all, if you have formed relationship with the school and the families, I think they may feel a bit abandoned if they're expecting to see you around next year or they expect you to be teaching a younger sibling in future years.
    Again, though, it varies by school culture.

Teachers at my school usually wait until mid to late May to share with fellow staff and students that they won't be returning. There's really no reason to mention it much earlier that I can think of, though it might dampen the last day a little to save it 'til then.

9. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2013

Yah I don't want to save it to the last day. I know of teachers who have done that who were leaving for other districts and I would just rather tell them sooner. I figure any time after state testing is over would be just fine.
    I want to make sure students know I didn't just leave the school for another school. I want them to know I moved on to another career. I think that is relevant.

10. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 18, 2013

When I left Utah, I told my kids I was leaving. I had to take a couple of days off to fly down and sign my contract. I think it was last part of April. I told them as soon as I came back.

My co-workers and kids (and some parents) gave me a small going away party. I took pictures of my new school ect and shared those in a power point presentation. (Mostly because I was leaving the West and moving to the Deep South and wanted the kids to see another part of the country)

I would have never leave my kids without telling them.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2013

Can you tell us about your new career?

12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Apr 18, 2013

I would tell my students because I teach at a small school and teachers don't leave unless they retire. I'd tell them closer to the end of the year, though.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 18, 2013

Yes, I would tell them. I don't understand how someone could say it's irrelevant. If they show up in the building next year and hear that you are gone forever, they'll think it's mighty odd that you knew you were leaving and never mentioned it.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2013

I don't think you need to tell them. By the way, congratulations. I know you have been wanting this for quite some time now.

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2013

Yes, please do.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2013

I don't want to jynx anything, hopefully I can tell you next week.