Technology Question...

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by jw12, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Feb 22, 2013

First year teacher here. I teach science at a large city high school (around 2,000 students). Next year our school is going to implement a 1:1 iPad program, which means each student will have a school-issued iPad for their use. Personally, I'm quite comfortable using the technology, so that's not an issue.

The problem is this... I like using guided notes for the direct instruction portion of my lessons. Generally, I show a Power Point and give the students outline copies of the presentation with certain terms and definitions left blank.

Is there a good way for the students to use guided notes on an iPad? I know that the Evernote app is an option, but I didn't know if someone out there has any other suggestions (preferably options that are free!).

Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated!

3. KateL

KateL Habitué

Feb 22, 2013

Notability! The students can import a pdf into it and then write or type in the blanks. They can also add a sheet of plain paper, notebook paper, or graph paper anywhere they want, if you want them to draw or write something else in the same file as their guided notes. They can sort the notes by subject (or any way they want to), and the program automatically puts the date on each new note. Notability is my favorite note-taking app by far.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 22, 2013

The school that I observed used 2 programs. They were Notability and the other one I think was called Notes Plus. It was for grades 6-8. Both seemed impressive to me. The students' opinions were mixed. Some loved Notes Plus better and some loved Notability more.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2013

You can also just give them the PPT with the "blanks" as editable text boxes.

I have to ask though, why would this type of notetaking be your preferred method? Your students are going to have literally a world of information in their hands and you're going to ask them to use it to fill in blanks on a worksheet that you simply could have printed and copied.