Technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Organic Poppy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Aug 1, 2014

I have 1 laptop for me, and 3 nice desktops for the students. I also have a Promethean board which is connected to the laptop.

What are the benefits of each student having an iPad? Are there some super amazing programs that have been developed? Or, is it just good for them to do research? I have an iPad myself and I don't even use it for anything productive lol

2. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 1, 2014

I have a teacher laptop.

Right now, that's it. We have a rule in my school that whatever technology was given to a room has to stay in the room even if the teacher moves. So I lost my smartboard and iPads from last year.

My new room used to be a closet. But my Principal's been mumbling something about Chromebooks all over the place...so I'm expecting some of those.

3. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 1, 2014

We have smart boards in every classroom, four student computers and each teacher has a laptop. Two computer labs and two science labs. We have smart tables also. I believe we have an iPad cart for every grade level as well. My new school is Title I and way better funded than my last campus. :)

4. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 2, 2014

Personally, I'd rather have a laptop for each student than an ipad, but they have to wait to take turns doing research, publishing their writing, creating Powerpoints, and taking AR tests. It would just be so much nicer if they could just get out a laptop whenever they need one.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

For those with no computer labs, how does testing work out?

I haven't seen my classroom yet so I can't respond. I think the P mentioned smart boards and some tablets. I would like a document camera, it is what I have used the most in the past. Anywhere I have been with SmartBoards, they haven't been utilized except as a projector screen. I want to figure out how to do more with one.

6. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jan 1, 2015

What's funny is that all of my students have iPads, I had no idea that was happening lol, we mostly use them for reading and math fact fluency

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jan 1, 2015

I prefer laptops to tablets. Tablets tend to become electronic babysitters at my school, and I have almost totally banned them from my room. I keep thinking there has to be a more productive use for them, but the kids keep finding ways to get to games, so I just don't let them in.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

I greatly prefer laptops over tablets, especially since laptops (or netbooks, or chromebooks) also promote keyboarding skills, which are useful for anyone nowadays. Knowing how to type is a good skill.

9. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 2, 2015

We don't have much technology. I'm at a high school with about 400 students in 9-12. Teachers each get a laptop. The library has 12 computers, and the study hall room has 6 computers and a printer.

10. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Jan 2, 2015

I teach at a 5-6th grade campus. Each pair of teachers (we both teach 2 subjects) share a set of Chromebooks. My partner teacher and I got lucky; we got one of the 40 computer sets! Each teacher also has a teacher laptop, Elmo, Mimeo (it's an interactive whiteboard that can be attached to any magnetic surface) and one Ipad. Our school does have a computer lab that normally is just used for testing.

11. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jan 2, 2015

Sleekteach, I have my students complete almost all assignments on their iPads. No more printing and copying paper worksheets/tests/quizzes! I just send it to them from my computer, then open it, complete it, and send it back to me, and I can check everything from my computer.

bros, my students use their iPads in keyboarding class. I haven't seen how they do it, but they might be using the keyboards that can be attached to iPads or the keyboard on the screen. It feels different, but once you get used to it, I can type similarly on the iPad as a keyboard.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 2, 2015

Tablet keyboards, especially the flimsy ones that attach to iPads, aren't nearly the same size as an actual keyboard.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2015

I'm at a parochial school; we have been very conscious of trying to keep up with technology. We only have one class per grade.

-Every classroom has a teacher lap-top and an interactive whiteboard.
    -Grades 5-8 have 3 class sets of Chromebooks (mostly used for science, S.S., and language arts)
    -Grades K-4 have a class set of tablets and a set of Chromebooks. For the most part, I can get access to either at some point in the day when I need them, although sometimes I juggle our schedule a little in order to accommodate other teachers' technology needs.
    -I got a document camera last year and use it ALL the time. (Actually, the school got one, and the principal gave it to me to try out. Technically, I have to share, but it lives in my room and none of the other teachers has come asking for it...not that I go reminding them! ;) )