Technology in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Organic Poppy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 29, 2014

I want to get a feel for what kind of technology other schools have to work with.

I teach in one of the top 10 poorest counties in my state. However, we are 1:1 with technology from kindergarten up. My firsties get ipad minis. Starting in 3rd grade students get Macbooks.

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 30, 2014

We have a computer lab that we have to fit about 1000 kids into for testing. Good news that it's all brand new though, because of Measure C money.

I purchased about 20 Chromebooks for my classroom through DonorsChoose though.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 30, 2014

We are 1:1 laptop tablets in 9-12.
    We are 1:1 tablets in 6-8.
    I'm not sure what our elementary is like, but I know they are not close to 1:1.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

All of our classrooms have ceiling mounted projectors and teachers have a school-issued laptop. We have 20 iPads and 30 laptops on carts to sign out for classroom use and we'll be getting another 30 laptops and 2 carts in the fall. There are document cameras shared between every 2 classrooms. We have about 650 students

We are encouraging students, particularly in grades 7 and 8, to bring their own devices.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 30, 2014

In my district grades 9-12 are 1:1 with MacBooks, and grades 3-8 are 1:1 with iPads. Grades K-2 are 1:2 with iPads.

We also have a variety of other things available:
    -2 computer labs
    -Every classroom has a Smartboard
    -Document cameras

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2014

About 1/3 of our classrooms have Promethean Board (mine is one!). We have two laptop carts that we share via sign up but it's rare to ever get it when you want because we have about 700 students. We have chromebooks on a cart for checkout too. I try to take a poll on day one of of who has reliable internet and computer access at home. Depending on the results, I can set up Edmodo, Spelling City, No Red Ink and other sites for regular school assignments.

8. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jul 30, 2014

My division is going 1:1 with chrome books for 6-8 this year and 9-12 next year.

9. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 30, 2014

The school I student taught at was 1:1. First with MacBooks issued to the students and then iPads. I got my first teaching job at a school with a cart of old MacBooks we have to check out. Ew. I don't have a projector or AppleTV in my classroom anymore.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 30, 2014

I have between 2-4 desktop computers (only some work at any one time) for centers. I have a SMART board in my room, and we have Chrome Book carts and laptop carts for sharing.

Maybe a little off topic, but the one thing I really, really wish I had is a document camera!

11. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Jul 30, 2014

6-8 share two computer labs

In my room I have a smart board, a document camera, 1 lousy desktop computer (the kids lovingly call it the dinosaur,) and 1 laptop for me.

1:1 is currently on the table for the middle school, supposedly, which is excited and daunting!

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

My school has a ton of technology. Unfortunately, it is allocated to certain programs and/or teachers, so most of us don't have access to it.

I have virtually no technology in my classroom. I have a teacher computer. And that's it.

Last year I had an LCD projector and an Elmo. Unfortunately, while I was on leave, someone broke into my room, destroyed my locked cabinet, and stole my LCD projector. (And when I say that they broke into my room, I mean that they literally destroyed the ceiling to get in. They dismantled the A/C unit on the roof and fell through the hole it had created. There were broken ceiling tiles all over the floor, broken ductwork and big metal support beams hanging from the hole in the ceiling, and visible open air with a not unpleasant view of the sky above.)

My school said that because they are so broke, they won't be able to replace my LCD projector, so I won't get one next year. But they did say that I can still have the Elmo...which needs the LCD projector to be useful. So that's awesome.

Other teachers have iPad carts, Macbook carts, banks of desktop computers for students, mounted LCD projectors, smartboards, Elmos, teacher-issued laptops and iPads, and probably a million other neat things that I will never see in my classroom.

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 30, 2014

I have a smartboard and an Elmo. I can no longer imagine teaching without either of them. :). I also have four very old desktop computers for my students. My school doesn't have a computer lab, unfortunately.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2014

We have about 90 chrome books for 9-12 plus maybe another 20 desktops. I've never had trouble getting them for my kids. We have probably 140 kids in grades 9-12 at my school.

I am supposed to be getting a smartboard this year!!

15. Organic Poppy

Organic Poppy Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Can I ask why the technology isn't shared bt classes?

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

We are a Title I/SIG/Transformation (Turnaround) school. Most of the money we get for that is spent on test prep and anything related to the classes that will be tested. If you teach an elective, even in a core subject, you are not the priority and therefore won't have access to any of it.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2014

I suppose technically the technology is supposed to be shared. But in practice it never is. I stopped asking for it a long time ago. I have just found ways to do without.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2014

I will speak of my NC school since I taught there for 6 years and I know it the best.

In 2007-2008, when I started, we had overhead projectors and 2 desktops per classroom. We had one computer lab and one old laptop cart that was worthless. We were not Title I. I went and observed at a nearby school, one that was Title I, and they all had projectors, laptops, and document cameras. I was so jealous!

My first year happened to be my Ps first year, too. She initiated a lot of PTO fundraising for technology. In 2008-2009, they were able to purchase 3 Activboards, MacBooks, and projectors. Two teachers had been through a special training, so they received the equipment. We had to write a grant/proposal if we wanted the third. I won it, but it wasn't installed until April :down: In 2009-2010, we qualified for Title I. Between Title I funds and our heavy PTO fundraising, my P started getting Activboards into all the rooms. It took two more years.
    When I left (2012-2013), every teacher had a MacBook, an iPad, an Activboard, a projector, and 3 new desktops (Macs). Our computer lab also had brand new desktops (Macs as well). We had 5 laptop carts, 2 iPod carts, and 5th grade was 1:1 with mini iPads.

19. fjaravata

fjaravata Rookie

Jul 30, 2014

Our school is a 1:1 device school (iPads) and we serve ~900 K-12 students.

We also have about 30 70 inch TVs all on carts so they may be carted off to other rooms if needed. We have transitioned away from projectors.

They all have Apple TVs so students and teachers can mirror to the TVs.

Teachers use both iPads and MacBook Airs with a very small group that uses PCs (mostly the business offices).

Fred

20. queenie

queenie Groupie

Aug 1, 2014

Each classroom has a Promethean board, a teacher computer, a document camera and projector, a laptop or netbook, and four student computers. Some teachers have one or two ipads or ipad minis we received at various technology trainings. The school has a computer lab with 30 computers and a teacher computer/document camera/projector. There are also (3) mobile labs (about 70 laptops total) and 20 ipads to be shared between all grade levels.

I am SO jealous of those of you who have a mobile device for each student!! We are in a well-to-do rural community so we don't get much money to purchase things. We had to do fundraisers to get playground equipment and have volunteers put it up! =(

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 1, 2014

1:1 i pads K-12, smartboard in every classroom, i pad and macbook pro for each teacher.