Techie/Music Theme for my Classroom

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

Today, I was in the store and IT hit me- a rock star/iPod/digital native-themed classroom with a "Welcome to the jPod" bulletin board (with cutouts of iPods and headphones).

Even when I was in Borders today, I purchased a gorgeous mousepad that was all music-related. It is Paperchase brand. They also had three large erasers that I'll use as decorations, of of a cassette tape, a second of headphones, and the third of a stereo.

I really want to do something a little different with my classroom this year, though of course it's still Jasztalville and I have the town sign I painted two years ago. However, the theme is now shifting a bit! What can I do for sections of my classroom?

Rock on! Or shall I say peace out? :rolleyes:

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

Does anyone want to help or have a cool thought? (Feels kind of sad and lonely...)

4. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

I think that is a very cute idea! Beth Newingham did something with rock n roll. Here is the link
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

I'm not very creative unfortunately and can't come up with anything right now, but I will be thinking and let you know if I do!!!

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

Mrs. Newingham. I blurted out her name today while I was drinking Jamba Juice. My mind was racing to see if any teacher has done a music theme before, and I just randomly blurted out her name.

I think mine is going to be more along the lines of technological gadgets like iPods, though.

6. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Sorry about the link, I tried it out and it takes you to a different page. But down the left hand side if you look for teacher resources and then there is another link for fun classroom themes. Click on that and it is the first one!!!

7. Stacey23

Stacey23 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

Isn't she amazing. She is like famous in the world of teaching. I can say that name to a teacher and they would be like Oh my gosh she is amazing. yet I say her name to my boyfriend and he's like huh!? Who!? I wish I could have time to do half the stuff she does. I find it amazing!

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

I wonder how many know about Mrs. Newingham at my school. Where in Florida do you teach? I'm in Brooksville.

I keep thinking of the Hard Rock Cafe (I could always have the Hard Rock Internet Cafe), iPods (maybe I can a few of the cases for them for decoration), and types of music in general.

9. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I want to help Ms.Jasztal but I feel so behind in my method of listening to music! I am still on the track of compact discs. Promise though I am asking for an I-Pod for my b-day and one of the little speaker centers you plug it into. :)

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

It's funny you brought this theme up. Originally, my plan was to have a nighttime garden theme, but the more I thought about it, the more I hated it.

So, I decided to have an iPod theme (oddly, I came up with this idea the same day I completely destroyed my iPod - it got crushed in the electric seats of my car.)

Anyway, so far I've created a STAR binder (well, technically iPod binder cover), name plates, and classroom rules poster. I love this theme so much more than my old one :) I'm obsessed with anything Apple/iPod, and I can't believe I never thought of it. My slogan all year is going to be _______ ROCKS!! (5th grade, Reading, etc. etc)

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

That is hysterical!

I thought someone was going to say, "Get off the dang iPod already!"

By the way, I don't have one of my own.

12. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

I just got a free ipod touch with the macbook I bought.... ooo it's amazing!

Sorry off topic, sort of, I don't really have any ideas for you. :(

I'm starting to get tired of my bee theme. It's kind of being phased out, which is a bummer, because I spent a lot of $$ on it a few years ago!

13. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

The only thing I could think of is the apple logo! Maybe you could come up with your own logo with a bite out of it! Sorry, that probably wasn't much help.

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

No worries. My mind will probably work as I design the classroom. All I know is that I want to be very unique, so I'll try thinking of things that I know (most likely) others will not come up with.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 27, 2008

I have been watching the Hannah Montana concert all weekend (I caught all three showings), and every time she sings 'Life's what you make it-so let's make it ROCK', I would think what a cute bulletin board that would make. You could even have it like a whole class 'star' board, where they can bring in pictures of them doing things outside of school that they are proud of-sports, dance, trips with family, etc. They are making the most of life!

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 27, 2008

Very true! I thought of that Camp Rock movie, also. Fourth graders are very much infatuated with the Disney channel.

I found High School Musical magnets at Target yesterday for $1.00. They have all kinds of kitschy stuff. But the idea really struck by the time I was at Borders and saw the music-related mouse pad.

17. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

Can I share with you a project I did with my 6th graders last year? Although it could be done with any grade really.... let me send you a link:

We took the idea of the ipod ad, and made it in our own way with our own action shots. I just took pictures of them with a digital camera against a plain colored background, then using photoshop we deleted the backgrounds, made them black and then added in a new color or design for the background.

http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=122450

18. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

on iCarly instead of having apple computers they are pears (which I think is adorable). Could you do a large J with a bite out of it as a logo.

Random Ideas I found

(from proteacher) I was also thinking that my reading corner could be "Tuned" into a Great Book. I was thinking about making a large 3D IPod with the title on it and having ear phones coming off of it. I'm not sure about what to put my students names on if I go with the IPod. I was going to have some records covered with pictures of book titles. I also found where someone used a Billboards Chart for AR. I think I am going to try that with the categories of Single, Gold, and Platnum.

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 28, 2008

I think I'll just do it in a few places when I title/decorate the areas around my room. "Tuned" into a great book sounds great, and also titling the technology area of my room with "___ Cafe" can also turn out great.

20. trimble2232

trimble2232 New Member

May 24, 2010

Hi! Love your ideas on the ipod. I'm a preschool teacher and doing a music theme and looking for a welcome board and loved the ipods. Just don't know if Preschoolers know what it. If you have photos can you send them.