Team planning

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Shananigens, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Shananigens

Shananigens Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

Myself and another person just got hired as two new preschool teachers each with our own class. She wants us to plan together which I am totally up for....but she wants us to have the exact same lesson plans. I more so wanted us to figure out the same themes to do, sequence of letters, share resources etc. Any suggestions on what to do?

3. katsmeoow

katsmeoow Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

beg barrow and steal you can always jazz up a lesson plan with your own flare. My question is are there any other pk teachers and are they willing to work together and share. They would know more of the supplies and resources. Keep us up to date please

4. Shananigens

Shananigens Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

We are the only two and we are both brand new to the school. She has only been an aide in preschool and I have been teaching K and pre-k for the past 5 years. We are teaching at a catholic school and the program is new. My principle has let us made a wish list of things we like in our room but we are pretty much getting very basic materials. I am lucky enough to have built up a collection of things or being able to use my own kids things that they don't use. We can't get into the building for a couple more weeks yet so I really won't know what is available till then. She wanted to do a theme a month I wanted to do a new one every week. We ended up compromising with every two weeks. She also wants to have all lesson plans done a month in advance which seems nice but I know it's not likely to happen. Personally I know I am a procrastinator and I can crank out lesson plans fairly quickly under pressure. We'll see how it goes....

5. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2015

I do a general schedule for the year of what I want to cover skill-wise so I get to all the standards and things I want to cover, but I can't imagine doing real lesson plans that far in advance.

First of all, I don't do themes in advance until I get to know the kids and their interests. I then follow those interests and things that come up through the year to interest us - in other words, emergent curriculum. I never understood how people can do specific plans for far in advance. I am glad I don't have to turn in plans.

You also don't know their needs or levels of development yet. Until you know what is in the room, how do you plan, as well.

It would be nice if you cooperated with the other teacher, but it sounds like you bring a lot more to the table and will need to be careful you aren't doing everything.

6. Shananigens

Shananigens Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

That is what I am afraid of. I will have enough to do without having to worry about what she is doing. I don't think she realizes it is very possible that her class could be way higher than mine or vice versa. She really doesn't have a clue and I don't want to be mean or devalue her opinion but I don't want either of us to feel stuck in someone else's plans. I am all for collaborating and sharing ideas but there is no way we are going to want to run our classrooms exactly the same.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 27, 2015

Is it possible that it is her being so new to teaching is the reason why she wants to have the same plans? Maybe she is nervous and anxious that she won't be good enough on her own, and she is looking to you, with your experience, for help and support? If this is the case, I would reassure her that you are available to help her and share your plans and resources as needed, but also be firm and clear that you will make plans that work for you and your class and when they work for you and your class. Maybe she is just feeling insecure and needs a mentor. Try to shift your mindset to that role, and it might be easier for you to tell her "no" while still giving her the guidance she needs to be successful.

8. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 27, 2015

We have 4 preschool teachers at our school. We sit down at the beginning of each day and plan out our weekly/monthly themes for the year. We don't all have to do the same thing, but we try to align our themes as much as possible so that we can collaborate (inviting guest speakers for community helpers week, having a dinosaur fossil dig on the playground for dinosaur week, etc.) Even though we might not always do the same themes, our scope/sequence for math and literacy is the same for the entire year. Each month has math/literacy goals that everyone follows. So, in November, everyone might be teaching about AB patterns and beginning sounds during the same week, using different themes. It's been a good compromise for us, and it's great when we have family nights because we can still do activities related to whatever literacy or math skill we are all practicing that week. Maybe just suggest that you put together a calendar of math/literacy/science skills for the year and try to fit in a few themes that match really well when you can (like we all do a measuring unit in the spring when we talk about growing things). But I would try hard to steer her away from matching lesson plans.

9. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jul 27, 2015

I don't see why you have to do everything the same.
    Your classes will be different.
    At my last job, there were 2 Pre-K classrooms. We used the same curriculum/themes but we did different work because my class was more advanced. So I would go ahead in the lesson plans and give my kids more enrichment stuff or teach new things while the other class had more reviewing.
    In the end, it really helped all the kids because they were all equally ready for Kindergarten (although some of my kids were probably ready for 1st Grade..)