teaching writing in elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherfan, May 14, 2011.

1. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 14, 2011

Does your school have a set curriculum or are you on your own? At my charter we are completely on our own. Are there any good books I can read to help me teach my second graders?

3. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

May 14, 2011

I use Evan Moor Daily Writing along with activities from Scholastic's 6+1 Traits of Writing. Each week I teach a new writing and grammar concept. Students are expected to implement the grammar concepts and writing concepts in that week's writing as well as those learned from previous weeks. We have a writer's notebook that helps us keep track of all the tools that good writers use.

4. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

May 14, 2011

I am using Four Square Writing Method by Judith Gould. It is a simple approach that yields excellent results. My second graders have grown so much in writing this year.

5. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 14, 2011

I really like the four square writing method too! I have not used the 6 traits but I've heard very good things. I actually got a four square writing book from my co-op teacher when I finished my student teaching, but I believe it isn't too expensive to purchase either. If you look around you may even find some templates online or be able to easily create your own type of thing.

6. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

May 14, 2011

We have always been on our own, and sadly writing lessons have gone to the wayside because we don't have a curriculum and our students are not tested on writing. Next year, however, we will be going to the 6 traits. Our P bought each grade level one of the 6 traits boxes from Scholastic (which are really nice!) and we will be doing some summer PD. I'm excited!

7. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

May 14, 2011

I do my own writing stuff. I do not know of books except the Fountas and Pinnell books. I use a lot of the basics from the East Bay Writers Project. I do a lot of journal writing and having the children learn how to develop ideas for what they are writing. I also do building ideas for the stories. I work on helping them correct their own work and then start moving towards final drafts and revising. The children do partner reading of the story and some author's chair stuff.

8. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 15, 2011

I am using Lucy Calkins this year (it's expensive, about $200 for the set) with my Kindergartners, but WOW is it powerful. They truly feel like authors and their writing shows it. It's amazing.

http://www.unitsofstudy.com/default.asp

9. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 15, 2011

At my current school, we use the Big 6 Writing Process, which is really great because students go through the entire process of researching/brainstorming, editing, revising, etc. in a very specific manner. It's really great for research projects specifically. We use it when students write their Black History Reports.

10. NYteacherNmom

NYteacherNmom Rookie

May 15, 2011

I also HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend looking into the Lucy Calkins series. We have been using it all year and we are amazed how our kids are writing.