Teaching World Map to Toddlers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by meaghan_ece, Jan 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meaghan_ece

meaghan_ece New Member

Jan 2, 2005

I need to do a 15 minute holding circle tomorrow telling my tods about the world map and why the earth is round... I'm thinking of using "Map" from Dora so they can associate maps with something, but any other ideas?? All help muchly appreciated!

3. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

This Is For Toddlers?
    You Are Teaching Why The Earth Is Round?

I Have A Suggestion Not So Much Based On Why The Earth Is Round, But What The Earth Is Made Of.

Tell The Children The Earth Is Made Of Water And Land.
    The Water Being The Oceans, LaKes Etc; The Land Being The Dirt Or Soil.
    Then Ask Open Ended Questions Like: What Animals Live In Water? Or What Animals Live On The Land. Read A Book That Relates To Animals In Land And Water. To Emphasize On The Shape Of Earth, Show The Globe. TaLK About It's Shape, Associate It With Other Things That Are Shaped Like An Circle. Use Playdough To Make Circles(the Shape Of The Earth).

These Are Just A Few Ideas That May Help Them To Grasp The Concept Of Earth.

I Hoped I Help. I've Never Worked With Toddlers Only Pre-k. I Was Trying To Think Of Something On Their Age Level.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2005

How about a big blow up globe- toss to kids one at a time and graph how often their hand is touching water vs. land. I think why the earth is round is a little out there for preK- just tell them it's round like a ball. Maybe a picture of the earth from outer space to show that it is round.

Swon- why are all of your words starting with capital letters? :confused:

5. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

BECAUSE I AM LAZY! I CAN SEE IT BETTER! (LAUGHING) ;)

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 2, 2005

don't want to offend you, swon, but i find it VERY hard to read when things are in all caps or starting each word with caps...

*shrugs* maybe it's just me. ;)

7. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jan 2, 2005

I don't want to offend either, but I agree with clarnet. I have been having great difficulty reading your posts today.

8. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

Fine is this better! Why would you have trouble reading capitol letters.

9. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jan 2, 2005

That is so much better, thank you. I think it is difficult to read all caps because as net ettiquette goes - all caps is considered yelling. And I think trying to read a paragraph when every word starts with a capital letter is difficult because as readers, our eyes are trained to regard words with capital letters as beginning of sentences or proper nouns.

10. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jan 2, 2005

thanks for saying something guys, I wanted to but wasn't sure how to do it tactfully, I tend to get a bit tacky. I found the posts difficult to read also.

11. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Jan 2, 2005

I LOVE this idea! Especially the graphing part -- TERRIFIC!!!

I think a globe is more appropriate when demonstraing the earth is round to toddlers. It is hands on and fun.

Is someone requiring you to teach this concept to toddlers?

12. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

I can not believe you all are making a big deal about the caps. please find something else to rant about.

13. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Jan 2, 2005

My assistant teacher writes the children's names in ALL CAPS. I had to find a tactful way to ask her to not do this anymore. I finally referred her to a memo about NAEYC practices regarding print (it included things such as not writing using staggered letters -- not even on the bulletin boards-- using proper as opposed to 'cute' inventive spelling as in I Luv U, etc) -- In that memo was a part about only capitalizing the first letter of proper nouns -- so I showed it to her and she has been trying so hard ever since.

14. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

This definitely the last time i speak on this matter. i do understand what you are saying about the requirements expected for writing in the classroom environment. I as well use this appropiate practice everyday. It is called modeling(appropiate practices).

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2005

I thought swon said it was easier to read with caps.
    Maybe the print is too small as is.
    When you click 'go advanced' it does allow you to choose a different print size, though.

16. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

:) Thankyou, becky for not making a mountain out of a molehill.

17. swon

swon Rookie

Jan 2, 2005

OOPS! I forgot to cap your the first letter of your name. L.OL.

SORRY!

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2005

We kind of got off the subject of world maps and toddlers.
    Meaghan, what age is this?
    I'm picturing threes. Are you sure they'll understand?
    I'm a big believer in working with children as young as possible, but even I can't see a toddler 'getting' the concept of the world.
    When my little one was three last year we did maps and models using her bedroom and neighborhood as the places we mapped out.
    I drew a line across the sheet of paper and that was our street.
    We brainstormed what we passed as we went to thepark at the end of our street, and she drew them.
    We made a map of the route we take to her grandma's house .
    She has even started to notice road signs on her own, and wants them explained!

Them again, it all depends on what your kids aleady know.
    We read alot of DK books and I'm surprised at what my daughter has picked up on her own this way.

19. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jan 2, 2005

Swon, I also think it was all a big squeal about nothing.

The forum rules says this is supposed to be a 'safe' place, but I sometimes wonder if that gets evenly applied.

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2005

I don't think it was a big squeal- it was difficult to read- no attack, just mentioning that it is difficult to read posts with all caps or caps on every word. Might make someone less willing to read a post and to respond...Wouldn't want to miss someone's great ideas or advice just because it was hard to read!

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 2, 2005

I think you are all nuts.
    As for teaching toddlers that the world is "round", that is absurd, but then again, it seems rather harmless, I suppose. Toddlers don't even know the word "earth!" They cannot relate to things like that! How funny. Why not teach them their "heads" are round now that I think of it!? At least that is something they can relate to! That is of course unless their heads happen to be square...that could really confuse matters.
    Hurray! Now you can all hate me even more!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.