Teaching without a cert

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ChrisWolfCaesar, Feb 8, 2017.

1. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

So I recently posted a related question but I've thought to refine it a bit and ask, For those of you who are not certified, what has your teaching experience been like? What degrees do you have, was it tough to find work, was working in a private school enjoyable, how was pay, or anything else you might think is valuable advice.
    Thank you.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  3. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Feb 8, 2017

I went the alternative certification(AC) route and taught for a year before I was fully certified; in Texas that meant that I passed my content area test (composite science) but couldn't take the PPR test until I completed my AC program. Since I had a science degree and passed the content area test, I had multiple job offers. I had a great first year with excellent mentors and administration. It was nice getting paid for the year instead of having to intern like some of my friends. I certainly learned more from the experience than the classes.

It's really going to depend on your field. Had I been a history or speech major it probably would have been a very different story.

4. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

So you got offered a job with just a Bachelors and content test?
    And why would being a history teacher make things different? I have a a B.S. in Marketing but I want to teach social studies which is why I'm wondering. I'm currently taking graduate credits in History.

5. Secondary Teach

Secondary Teach Companion

Feb 8, 2017

I believe I read in your other thread, that you'll enroll in or are currently enrolled in an M.ed program and minoring in History, but don't wish to obtain certification at this time. If that's the case, your minor in History should be sufficient for you to obtain a Social Studies position or pass a content exam in History. However, most schools would prefer you have a degree in History. Many types of schools would be impressed with your degree with or without certification, the and the fact you're male. If you desire a teacher position, even in a non public school you will still need some experience working with children in a school setting though it doesn't have to be actual teaching experience. You'll need references too, and since you're not certified you'll have to take pretty much any position offered to you in a non public school- even if it's not your desired school or position to get your foot in the door. From a fellow uncertified and successful educator.
    :)

ChrisWolfCaesar likes this.
  6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Habitué

Feb 8, 2017

I have a Bachelors in English Lit and a Master's in Elementary Education.
    I also my paraprofessional license and substitute teaching license, which I got in case I couldn't find a job, but I've never had to use them!
    I posted about my job(s) on your other thread. I believe I've been pretty successful. I've had potential employers tell me my resume was "very impressive".
    Right now I teach Head Start in a public school (employed by govt agency), but I do plan on going back to private school next year hopefully, and with an older grade level

7. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you. I don't know about other programs, but the M.Ed program I'm in requires you to take 24 graduate history credits. Since 18 grad credits seems sufficient for employment at a CC or for a PhD program, I will put it on my resume and hope for content recognition.
    I've been substitute teaching for the past year, which I'm sure will count for something. And I can get good letters of rec from my headmaster and from my professors.
    I never thought about being male playing a factor, but since you mention it there is a lack of males in the profession.
    With all the stress on getting a teaching cert, it's good to know there's uncertified teachers who have made it in their career.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Feb 8, 2017

OP, alternate route works better is some states than others. Knowing what state you are hoping to teach it will make it much easier to get answers that will be relevant to your particular situation. Hopefully you will be able to share that with us.

9. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

It's good to see that you can easily move in and out of private school jobs. My B.S. is in Marketing, but I will graduate with an M.Ed and 24 grad credits in history, which I hope will count for a B.A. in content.

10. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

Yes. Here in Pennsylvania there are two alt routes. One involves going to school at a certain college in Pittsburgh, which is out of the question for me. The second route requires that you have a Bachelor's in your content area and a minimum undergrad GPA of 3.0. With these prerequisites, I believe you take an "intern" position at school while you fulfill a certification program at a university. I'm a bit foggy on the details, but that's because I have a Bachelors in Marketing and have no need to look further into it.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 8, 2017

I teach in a private school and I, like all of our teachers, have a teaching certificate. It is hard finding a job without a teaching certificate. Charter schools use to do this, but what I have heard are many more are hiring teachers with teaching certificates. If you are serious about having a career in teaching, I'd get a teaching certificate.

12. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 8, 2017

Thank you. I have a B.S. in Marketing, so will it hurt my resume if my only content background comes from my state tests? I am hoping an M.Ed with 24 graduate credits in history will strengthen my resume. Do you still think I should go for the cert? Ideally, if I can work out the finances, I will get the cert and the M.Ed, but that is doubtful.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Feb 8, 2017

I am in NJ, and PA is completely different to NJ. Here, you have to have 15 or 30 content hours in the subject you wish to teach, no pedagogy courses are allowed to be used. The 15 credits would allow you to teach middle school, but to teach high school you would need the 30 credits in a logical sequence, in essence, a major. Yes, you would still need to pass the content test for what you wanted to teach. There are then some 200 clock hours of coursework, over the course of a year to year and a half, through either a community college, or, less expensive, through the Rutgers CESP program. You can work while taking the coursework after passing the content exams, and then you are going to work two years in as a mentored teacher, just like a new teacher with a teaching major. PA is different, but I don't know how different. I know that when my son was considering PA, there were hoops, and he was a traditionally prepared teacher. You can go to the DOE for almost any state you want to compare to PA and find the requirements for alternate route certification. Don't know if that helps in the least, but some states are more flexible than others. Never a bad idea to have the state DOE to review your transcript to let you know what you can and can't use, and what you can do to shore up any perceived weaknesses or shortcomings.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  14. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Feb 9, 2017

I live in a town that has a university just 45 minutes away so there are many teachers seeking positions here. It just so happens that it's a small town in Texas that wants football coaches above all else; I don't know if the stereotype holds up elsewhere but coach = history or speech teacher.

15. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Feb 9, 2017

I'm at a private school too, and we have to have teaching certificates. However, at the last private/independent school I taught at they did hire a foreign language teacher without a teaching certificate. So it does happen. But as I understood it that was because that teacher was more proficient in the language (less commonly taught) than any of the applicants who had teaching certificates.

16. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Feb 9, 2017

I teach in a private school and have a teaching certification. Many teachers here do not, however the pay scale is based on whether or not you have a teaching certification (and this is common in my state.) I make almost twice what my non-certified teaching colleagues make. Make sure and look into the pay issue. In our diocese the pay scale is set up in this order: no degree, bachelors/no cert., masters/no cert, bachelors w/ cert, masters w/ cert, and then PhD with cert.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Feb 9, 2017

I think now is the time to go and find out what would it take in your state to get certified in what you want to teach (it sounds like History). It sounds like you might be pretty far towards being certified in history. See if you can talk to someone at the Department of Education or some similar place that would have the facts you need. Then you can figure out the financial cost and time it would take for you to get certified.

I have a BA in a business major as well. I went to a postbac program and got certified in a year plus student teaching. Your situation might be more or less.

18. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Thank you.

19. ChrisWolfCaesar

ChrisWolfCaesar Rookie

Feb 9, 2017

Thank you. I think I will go with the cert program so I have a better chance of finding work.

20. MrTempest

MrTempest Companion

Feb 10, 2017

I work in a public school district and there are plenty of "teachers" without the proper certification heading classrooms. I guess they got lucky due to relaxed background checks.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  21. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Comrade

Feb 11, 2017

I have a degree in Sociology and Anthropology. Worked a bit in social services and then decided to teach. I am only certified to teach Birth-5(Prek) in Florida. I am currently in a 2 year program to obtain a K-6 teacher certification.
    I have a background in education. My parents owns a preschool and I worked there during my college years. I am now a PreK teacher.

Leaborb192 likes this.