Teaching Two-Digit Multiplication

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ryan O., Nov 11, 2004.

1. Ryan O.

Ryan O. Rookie

Nov 11, 2004

I'm wanting to reinforce multiplying two-digit numbers with my fourth grade students. It's just not "sinking" in. They do great in their math centers but when it comes time to take a quiz or a test their minds run blank. Could anyone offer some creative ideas on how to teach the concept? Any tips or tricks? Thanks!!!

Ryan

3. dorn27

dorn27 Guest

Nov 11, 2004

Do they seem to have the 'long' part of it down in the centers? Better put in this problem 24X32 do they understand that after completing 2x4 and 2x2, then they must move to 3x4 and 3x2? Maybe another walk through would be in order, have the kids guide you through a problem on the board (or carpet or whatever group method you use). Also are the problems you give them in centers similar to those on the test? I would assume your tests are very much just 'solve for the answer' but perhaps your center questions are not. Maybe combine using both real world examples and straight forward math in both centers and the test.

Hope that helps, best I can do as a pre-service teacher. :confused:

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 13, 2004

It's a simple trick, but when I do 2 step mult. I have my kids turn their paper sideways. It gives them columns to put their numbers in. That way it's easier for them to keep their numbers lined up (one of the big problems my kids usually have). Just out of curiousity, is 2 step mult a mastery skill for you? We introduce it in 4th grade, but we don't have it for mastery.

5. omiof5

omiof5 Companion

Nov 13, 2004

I was just getting ready to offer the same advice when I scrolled down to ChristyF's post. It's amazing how much it helps to turn the paper sideways -- I always used this trick when kids were having trouble with multiplication or long division.

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Nov 13, 2004

Have you ever heard of lattice multiplication? It is really easy and the kids get it. It is really hard to explain how to set it up, but I found a great website and have listed it below. Hope it helps!

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52468.html

7. LionPride

LionPride Companion

Nov 13, 2004

Multiplication

I agree with the latice multiplication. IT REALLY WORKS. Students don't have to remember to add in any regrouped numbers. My resource children were able to multiply two and three digit numbers using this method. When it came time for the test they asked if they could use it and I told them "You can use whatever method you like just as long as you show your work and get the right answer." Also turning the paper helps a great deal too!