Teaching Theme

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by Roobunny, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

Hi all! I'm gathering ideas for lessons I want to tweak and/or completely rework next year and I want to know how you teach theme. I covered it a bit last year when we did our unit of fairy tales, folktales, and fables, but it was the last unit of the year, we were rushed, and I don't think the kids caught on.

I want to try and teach it throughout the year - maybe with a story map we can use with our read-alouds, but I feel like theme is a hard concept to grasp. What are some ways that you teach theme in your classroom?

3. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 20, 2013

I fill some bags with items that would be part of a theme, demonstrate how to determine the bag's theme for the first bag, then let the kids try and guess the theme for the other bags.

Examples:

candles, balloons, present (theme = birthday party)

sunblock, sunglasses, popsicle (theme = summer)

paint, crayons, scissors (theme = art/crafts)

dice, cards, timer (theme = board games)

After this, I talk about how themes exist in texts as well. I give them some examples of themes in stories we've already read, then I help them figure out what theme our current story might have.

4. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 20, 2013

Beth Newingham has some posters that she puts up each year and adds images of book covers as she reads them to the class and discusses the theme. It's a great visual reminder.

5. Roobunny

Roobunny Comrade

Jul 20, 2013

Queenie - I love the idea of the theme bags!

Iheart - I'm going to look on Beth Newingham's site. I already currently have a tab open for her site because I'm using her book labels to give me ideas on how to sort out my library by genres/topics instead of AR levels...another project I'm trying to get done. Whew!