Teaching Reading before Writing in Preschool

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by funinclass, Aug 16, 2014.

1. funinclass

funinclass New Member

Aug 16, 2014

Is it easier for a child to learn to read before he can write?

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2014

Depends on the child. Nellie Edge thinks you should teach writing first, which promotes reading. Look up her website if youwant that point of view.

4. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2014

I personally think it goes hand in hand. This is coming from my Reading Recovery background & training. I just can't see a teacher teaching a child to read without writing as well and vice versa. For example, if a child learns a sight word such as "said", that's great. But wouldn't it make sense to then teach them how to make the word with magnetic letters, write in on a whiteboard, do some shared writing and allow the child to write the word "said" in a sentence while the teacher writes the rest? Just my thoughts.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 17, 2014

The stereotype in our district(if I remember right) has always been k-3 reading drives writing and 4 up writing drives reading.

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 17, 2014

I also feel that they go hand-in-hand. From my experience, most children's reading and writing abilities are closely linked. My strongest readers are also my strongest writers. My struggling readers are usually my struggling writers.

If you are in a Common Core state, the CCSS stress that writing and reading are equally important. I've also seen a lot of research that students can learn to be better readers through writing.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2014

This.:thumb:

8. Miz_Jay

Miz_Jay Companion

Aug 18, 2014

I have to agree with everyone else. When I taught preschool, I taught the two together. We did I get started with writing basics (pencil grip, left to right, writing lines, etc) about a month before we jumped into working on the reading stuff too.