Teaching Place Value

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by KinderCowgirl, Jul 23, 2010.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2010

Anyone have any good lessons for this objective? This is what we are supposed to be teaching after 5 days of math routines-our first real objective-and it's a doozy! :eek:hmy: I want them to have a solid foundation in this. I know of Kathy Richardson's "zib" activities-and they were briefly introduced to 10's and 1's last year-but really have no grasp of the concept yet.

Any cool ideas either for the class lesson or workstation activities?

3. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

I don't know if you have any base 10 blocks, but they are really good for this. I have mats with columns drawn with a hundred slab, rod, and a cube at the top. We do lots of practice representing numbers with the cubes. I find that it really needs to be done in a small group, or some wind up really off task with the cubes.

For whole group, if you have a Smartboard, there are some great online manipulatives:

http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/grade_g_1.html

I also have a few Smartboard lessons on my computer... if you send me a PM with your email, I can send them to you.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

We were told place value is not developmentally appropriate for first grade.

If we're lucky, we can sort of introduce it the last couple weeks of school.

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Jul 23, 2010

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 23, 2010

We don't "officially" cover place value until after Christmas! Eke! However, I do briefly touch on it daily during Calendar math - for instance, when we update our "days in school" count and tally, etc.

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2010

It is even hard for 2nd graders to grasp!

We count popsicle sticks - they each have a large ziploc bag, a place value mat, and a strip of paper to record on.

They start counting sticks, placing them on the mat, and recording each number (001,002, 003, and so on - there are 3 columns on the strip).

As they reach ten, they make a bundle with a rubber band.

We kept these out all year and worked on them when we had time. The kids really enjoyed it.

But, it might be too independent for 1st graders in August...

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 24, 2010

I completely agree with that and have seen how hard it is for kids to grasp. We teach it for 8 days the second week in-I don't know what our curriculum writers are thinking. On our standardized testing that we used to take in January (this year I think it will be May:) ) they actually have to add and subtract with regrouping-so I have to teach it. Maybe I'll post this in the elementary forum and get some ideas-I didn't realize everyone didn't teach it at this level!:confused:

Thanks VA-they actually don't want us to use base ten blocks yet-want to get the concept solidified before going to that activity. And unfortunately-no Smartboard-but I appreciate the offer.

Danny's Nanny-good ideas, thanks-they are pretty well-trained!:whistle: (they were my kids last year)

9. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

Which math series are you using?

10. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

What's My Number Game

1. Create ten numbers by rolling the dice and using that information to form the number.

2. Have students used base ten blocks to illustrate #s.

3. Express them by place value.....Create HTO chart and have students write #s in correct place on chart

4. Draw illustrations to support them.
    Have students draw base ten blocks to illustrate #.

-------------------------
    Guess My Number

I give each student a laminated 100 chart.
    Then I give clues to finding "my number".
    Example:
    I have a 2 in the ones place.
    I have a 3 in the tens place.
    Then I have students circle "my number" using a dry erase marker.
    Then I check and we erase and play again.
    If students have difficulty we pull out the ten blocks or ten frames or other materials and make the number.
    -----------------------

Concentration
    Have students match up illustrations of tens and ones to the written form.
    Or
    have students match up illustratons of ten and ones using different methods (example: ten frames on 1 card (2 ten frames) and block ten blocks on the other card (2 ten sticks))

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  11. silver rain

silver rain Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

Investigations has hands on activities. Dana Center Math also has hands on actvities.

12. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2010

Our math curriculum is actually a Kathy Richardson program. I know there are place value stations in our planning books. When I go to my classroom, I will get my book and see what she has in there and write you back! I'm not going to my room until Tuesday!