Teaching out of your certificate

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by ms.j, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ms.j

ms.j New Member

Sep 15, 2015

I NEED HELP/ADVICE!

In graduate school my special education certificate changed to generalist, which meant I could teach a self-contained class in my subject area (social studies)or in an inclusion/co-teaching class out of our subject area because we would not be the main teacher of record.

This year I was given a leave replacement for a year in special education. Before I signed anything I kept asking the department chair, his secretary and human resources what the subject it would be and no one would get back to me or tell me. I assumed that it would be self-contained social studies (since that is my content are certification) or an inclusion/co-teaching class and made the huge mistake of signing the agreement.

A few weeks after signing the agreement, I was finally told it would be self-contained math 6th and 8th grade. I tried reaching out to faculty members for help and resources to start planning, but I was told there was none. I started school and have been trying to teach the classes, but I’m struggling, overwhelmed and sick to my stomach. There hasn’t been one day that I have not cried.

Is a school allowed to do this?

I want to resign, but I do not want anything to be put on my record. I am willing to give the mandated resigning time period. I have found information about being able to teach out of your content area, which is only if you are highly qualified or have an extension in the core subject area you are teaching, which I have none for math.

I am going into my third week, but I do not think I can stick it out teaching something I have no knowledge in (especially common core math).

My classes are a combination of common core self-contained students and alternative assessment students.

What should I do?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2015

I assume a leave replacement would not be held to the boundaries of a certification since it is a temporary placement.

4. renmew

renmew Rookie

Sep 15, 2015

I don't know anything about how the credential part works, but you should read a few posts down. Might help. How many computers/devices do you have access to during classtime? How many students in an average class?

This is the post below that might help.

7th & 8th Grade Math - I'm LOST! PLEASE HELP!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2015

My sympathies, ms.j. If there's a teacher's union, this might be a good point at which to find it and get some feedback.

A small heads-up: Your two threads have been consolidated into one. A to Z forum policy strongly discourages multiple threads in multiple forums on the same topic by the same member at the same time, on the sensible ground that one unified discussion sheds more light. In any case, many veterans of the forum don't check for new threads forum by forum: instead, they use one of the "NEW:" links at the upper right of the page - in your case, where it says "Welcome, ms.j" - to bring up a list of all the threads in which there have been new posts since the last time they logged in.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2015