Teaching Long Division

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by redrose21, Jul 23, 2008.

1. redrose21

redrose21 Rookie

Jul 23, 2008

This is a wonderful way to teach long division. I tried it last year with my students and they really understood the process better using the family in this power point. If you don't have a way to show the kids the power point you could always print it out and display it on the bulletin board like I did. Either way you should check out this approach it was really helpful for me.

http://jc-schools.net/PPT/Long Division.ppt

3. LuvTchng

LuvTchng Companion

Jul 24, 2008

Cute! This is exactly how I teach long division except I use "Dirty monkeys smell bad...Run!"

4. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 24, 2008

Thank you for sharing, RedRose. I always hoped there was something like this "out there". :thanks:

5. christi1273

christi1273 Rookie

Jul 30, 2008

Cute! I made a powerpoint and I use Does McDonalds Sell Cheese Burger Recipes. The Cheese is for Check-check to see if you need to bring down. When we are finished the end of the powerpoint says Long Division-I'm Loving it!!! lol

6. MsJen

MsJen Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

What great ideas these are for teaching long division! I am new to 3rd grade and love all these ideas!

7. Jadams

Jadams New Member

Nov 14, 2010

I am a new teacher and have tried to figure out a way to teach long division. This is amazing. I am starting tomorrow and can't wait to show them this slideshow! Thank so much!

8. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Jan 20, 2011

Don't forget the cousin

I always use the cousin in the "Long" family. He/she comes after the sister and before the brother. The cousin compares the difference to the divisor....if it's smaller, then the brother can bring down the next number.

A very important step that stumps a lot of kids.

9. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Jul 30, 2011

In my class we have the Division family to help us remember the steps. We have Dad, Mother, Sister, Brother, Rover, and Coco. My class added Coco to the family after the first week. The math strategy our school used required students to check their work, so we wanted to incorporate that. I told the class that the Division family had decided to adopt a cat and asked us to name it, but it needed to be a C name to remind us to check our work. After some suggestions and a class vote we named her Coco.

It was funny because if I saw students not checking their answers I would ask if they had spent any time with Coco. It turned into a running theme through the year about always checking our work by spending some quality time with Coco. We talked about how Coco would get jealous and upset if you forgot to spend time with her. It was adorable because it spread to the other classes in the grade level because my kids would talk about Coco the cat and how she might scratch you if you didn't spend time with her.

10. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 30, 2011

Love these ideas! Thanks for sharing! I'm making the move up to 3rd grade this year and am looking for all and any resources I can find :)

11. math-helper

math-helper Rookie

Aug 2, 2011

Thank you for the post. We will start using this in our tuition center. Great idea!!

12. rockangel312

rockangel312 Companion

Jan 12, 2013

Any tips for how to teach long-divison to students with learning disabilities? I have a couple that make mistakes over and over again. :( I have re taught. I have taught with partial quotients (this is difficult for children with poor number sense). I tried this other way too. Still we went back to the standard DMSB. Still I see mistakes. :( I am not a special education teacher, but a regular education teacher. I don't know if any special education teachers out there can enlighten me on this? I teach fifth grade so the students have to know two-digit divisors with 4- digit dividends. However, these two students haven't even mastered one-digit divisors. How long do you keep going over it? How many times do you retest? I feel that we need to move on. However, they need to know how to divide! It is a life skill!:help: