teaching in two different school districts @ same time

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bholm83, Jun 10, 2018.

1. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jun 10, 2018

I work Full-time in a school district in WA, and Part-time (considered adjunct employee) in an online school in WA (strictly online). I got an email today from the director of HR for my school district, saying I'm violating state law by being under contract in 2 different school districts in the state. I'm willing to give up my PT online teaching job if I am indeed in violation and will talk to my union rep to clarify. I honestly had no idea there was a law like this, and while it makes logical sense, I feel like there is (or should be )some wiggle room when you teach part time online...

The law states I can't be under contract in 2 districts: ...."No contract shall be offered by any board for the employment of any employee who has previously signed an employment contract for that same term in another school district of the state of Washington "

S
    o while it seems straight forward that I need to terminate my employment with the online school, do you think there is any wiggle room here because while I'm employed by 2 districts in the same state, 1 of the disctricts I only teach part-time and it doesn't interfere with my current duties in the other district. Also, the language around 'same term' has me confused because I'm full-time in one and part-time in the online school.

I'm sure this issue has come up before, so am curious if anyone has been in a similar predicament. I've worked in this online school for almost 2 years and just now got notice about it, which is strange.

PS - looking online at the RCW law (http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=28A.405.210), it looks like this may not apply to provisional employees (of which I am) "This section shall not be applicable to "provisional employees"

Appreciate the help!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2018

Are both salaried, contracted (i.e. lower retail positions aren't "contracted" - they have job requirements, but no contract) positions? That is, is the online thing more like "choose your hours and teach x # of hours a week" like has popped up a bunch recently?

4. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jun 10, 2018

I'm contracted full-time with one district (the district that contacted me about a possible violation) and the online school is a contract position (from what I understand...though I reached out to my principal of the online school to verify I am a contract employee).

I'm paid based on how many students enroll in my class. I don't have a traditional FTE, I work in the evenings a few hours a week, and I don't get paid medical, benefits etc. That is why I think I'm in the clear. The reason I got contacted though is because the online school shows me as employed by another school district in the state. I don't think it gives details on the employment so it makes it seem like I work in a brick and mortar school in that district too, which obviously would be a clear violation.

https://www.connectionsacademy.com/washington-online-school/about

this link should help :)

Basically, the online school (WACA) is contracted with the mary knight school district but unlike teaching in a school in that district my pay is quite a bit different

5. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jun 10, 2018

I should note too, that I'm an 'at will' employer by the online school. Unlike my contracted full-time position, myself or the school can terminate my employment at any time. So I'm not really under contract which has me believe I should be allowed to be employed at both places?