Teaching in Florida

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SBing, Feb 13, 2017.

1. SBing

SBing New Member

Feb 13, 2017

Hey guys, I searched the forums, but it seems a lot of the good info is from a while back (some of the threads I read were from 2009).

But anyways, I have my Bachelor's in French and I would like to move to Florida to get a job teaching either French or Elementary Ed. I plan on taking the Elementary Ed test very soon, and it appears that I don't have to take the French test until after I would get hired, since my degree is in French.

Does anyone know how difficult/easy it is to get a job with minimal experience using this alternative route? I do have experience with children. I taught English to elementary school children for a semester in France. I also worked one-on-one for several years with an autistic child and I have taken a couple of education classes. (Content literacy, teaching foreign language)

I currently live out-of-state, but my fiance's family lives in Florida. Would it help if I mentioned that I have family there? My fiance also wants to move there and get a job teaching elementary ed. His degree is in Accounting, but he works at an after-school program with elementary kids and he loves it. Of course it doesn't pay quite enough, since it's part-time, so he's looking for a similar field. Elementary ed seems to be the perfect fit.

Does anyone have any experience with these alternative routes? Google hasn't been particularly helpful for finding "success stories".

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2017

Right now Florida needs teachers in many areas. I know many people who have been hired via alternative methods. Do you know what part of Florida you would like to move to?

4. SBing

SBing New Member

Feb 13, 2017

Hopefully central Florida since that's where the family is. I just read an article that was posted today saying Florida had a huge need for teachers including in elementary ed, so that makes me feel good. My fiance's family lives in Volusia County.

But at this point, I'm willing to kind of go anywhere. I realize it's a big state, so that's a lot of options when it comes to applying.

5. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 13, 2017

Central Florida is a good choice. The school districts there hire pretty much year round, although most of the main hiring is done near the end of the school year and through the summer.

Leaborb192 likes this.