teaching high school with PhD?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sinvanc, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jan 6, 2009

Rugby--yes, I would believe you still need to become certified through regular pathways regardless of level of education.

2. jp_Chicago

jp_Chicago New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Lots of PhD's

We have eight PhD's in our faculty. We see it as one of our strengths.

3. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jan 12, 2009

You are correct that sometimes that might look for a "cheaper" teacher. I got my Masters in a phd program (basically, I dropped out of a phd program, and they threw me an MA as a parting gift). After seeing my resume, they explicitely told me in my interview "We cannot afford you if you plan to have your phd soon."

However, when I was in high school, the only two teachers with phds were the two chemistry teachers! Good luck!

4. jennyjenjen

jennyjenjen Rookie

Jan 20, 2009

In my district a first year teacher with just a BA would start at $45,229, a first year teacher with a Phd would earn $53,346. At the 14 year mark the difference is huge, $51,000 for the teacher with a BA and $82,000 for the Phd. Good luck in your job hunt!

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 11, 2009

PhDs in my district make only like $500 more than the next highest educational category. I worded that poorly, but I think you konw what I mean.

Anyway, it doesn't pay to be a PhD in my district, even when you get to the top of the pay scale....You'd still just make $500 more than the person in the classroom next door who didn't spend all that time or money in a PhD program.

Having said all that, if high school is where your passion is, go for it. Have you researched the process for becoming licensed?