Teaching days of the week & months

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by ibmrsh, Feb 21, 2008.

1. ibmrsh

ibmrsh Rookie

Feb 21, 2008

Does anyone have some good ideas for this? We sing a song for each everyday, but it doesn't seem to be clicking for some of my students.

Thanks.

3. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Feb 22, 2008

This is the time of the year where it should be sinking in. Do you have any visuals to go with the song? I taught my days of the week song at the beginning of the year and had students "act it out" by standing up and bending down when the day of the week they were portraying was sung. The next week we started singing the song and pairing up the days of the week with the words for each day. Soon they will be able to look at the letters and use their alphabetic principle to figure out what the day is, without having to sing the song. At this point in the year, after talking about it every school day, I would say about 90% of my students are proficient in their days of the week knowledge. I don't really focus on memorizing the months in my class.

4. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Feb 28, 2008

Dr. Jean has some great songs. "Days of the week" and "Macarena Months." I use a velcro board with "Yesterday was___, today is____, tomorrow will be____" and we read it every day.

Time is a really abstract concept for kindergarteners so don't get discouraged!

5. Kteacher07

Kteacher07 Rookie

Mar 15, 2008

In addition to the songs, we did activities using the book Cookie's Week.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 15, 2008

I teach days of the week using the Calendar. Along with songs.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

I used Eric Carle's Today is Monday and Seven Blind Mice by Ed Young.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 15, 2008

I do the same thing as above. I also have posters with the days and the months. I choose a student to hold the pointer and point to the days of the week and the months of the year while the hole class says them, then we sing the songs. I also demonstrate looking at the top of the calendar to see the month and days and what day it is today/yesterday/tomorrow.

9. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

Mar 16, 2008

Did you do an activity with seven blind mice? I actually brought that book home this weekend trying to think of an activity to go along with it to teach the week words. :confused:

10. pinkpotato

pinkpotato Rookie

Mar 16, 2008

I LOVE the book Cookie's Week by Cindy Ward. I also like Today Is Monday by Eric Carle.

I have found that singing a song every day ultimately works best to teach the days. But, you have to have the students identify the days using "Yesterday was..." "Today is..." "Tomorrow will be..." frames, and have them do this every single day. They eventually learn how to use their alphabetic knowledge to identify the words (except for Thursday, which is a great way to introduce the 'th' digraph). Also, I found that instead of listing it like this:

Today is...
    Yesterday was...
    Tomorrow will be...

I list it horizontally, with the days of the week written in the same format as the calendar. I just move cards that say "Today is..." etc to the right every day, and the kids eventually understand the time concepts involved.

If none of this works, I think the only way to do it is to chant it over and over and over!

11. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Mar 17, 2008

I do a lot of the activities listed above. I think my students are really good at days of the week because my class is an afternoon class. We have a different schedule each day of the week. It drove me crazy at the beginning of year, but now it is paying off.

In the beginning of each month, I give the students a copy of a calendar page. Whole class, I give them directions of what to do. Circle the month. Underline the year. Color the days of the week blue. Draw a heart on the last day of the month, etc. Fill in the missing numbers, etc. I make it up each month.

I recently made math journals specifically for calendar. In February, the students would run up to me and tell me, "I know what the date is today." (or something of the sort). I started to feel stifled with all of them trying to tell me the date as soon as we arrived in the classroom. To avoid this feeling at the beginning of my day, I created math "journals" so they can secretly tell me this information. They write sentences like, "Today is Monday. It is sunny." Or "Today is Monday, March 17, 2008. It is St. Patrick's Day." I've been writing these types of sentences whole group for a while during calendar time. It was an easy transition to move to individual work. It helped that I first made worksheets with cloze sentences on lined paper. The paper has 4 lines, and I wrote on every other line. The students filled in the blanks (Today is ______. It is ______), then copied the sentence on the line below. They could draw a picture in the blank space above the lines. The type of sentences I gave them depended on the level of the student.

Their journals also contain a blank calendar page (a grid with the days of the week typed in it). They wrote in March at the top. Each day, they continue the pattern for the month (we use Saxon at our school. The calendar pieces are various shapes and colors that make patterns. This month is an ABC pattern of green, white, orange using triangles.) Students draw in the triangle for the day, write the number of the day inside the triangle (17 for today), and then they color it in lightly with a crayon. They check their answers when we are whole group. It seems to work out nicely, and it gives me time to work with the handful of students who can't do this type of work. Instead, we work on number recognition, counting, and patterns alone for about 10 minutes. When we reconviene for whole group calendar, I pretend like I magically know what answers they have written. (of course, I've spied on them). They love it that I just KNOW their answers.

12. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Mar 17, 2008

greg and steve have a good one, but don't remember which vol. CD it is...

Barney/Darling Clementine is a good one

There are seven days, there are seven days, there are seven days in a week.

repeat..

sun mon, tue wed, thurs friday..saturday
    repeat

etc.

Greg and steve do it in english and spanish.

I heard a few cute one on months...

12, 12, 12 months happen every year
    repeat
    Jan feb mar and april
    may june july and aug
    sept oct nov dec
    these are the months of the year..

Sheeps in the meadow, cows in the corn
    Tells us the month that you were born
    (kids are sitting, and they stand up with their month is called)

Jan,
    feb,
    etc...

Of course, it helps to have your handy dandy Carson-DeLaRosa posters to point at each name when singing. or make up your own. I think it is important to have separate posters, outside of the titles on your calendar.

13. SueHue

SueHue Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

I agree. I have the days of the week and months of the year listed in 2 different pocket charts in the calendar area. I printed the tags out myself. The tags are reversible - black/white on one side, and color on the other side. I have cute clip art from DJ Inkers that I used to make the tags (February has hearts on it, March has a lamb/lion, etc). Each day, we turn over the day of the week tag. The month of the year gets flipped at the start of the new month. The students know that we haven't had school in the black/white months or that we have yet to get to Wednesday, because it's in black and white. Sometimes, I put the tags in random order or flip them over when they aren't supposed to be to see if the students notice.

Strangely, with all of the work I listed in my previous post, my students FINALLY noticed that the words today, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc. all have the word "DAY" at the end.:) I love it when they make these types of connections!

Oh, and I purchased the pocket charts from Target over the summer from the "dollar spot." They are more compact than most charts, but still durable. A friend, the grandmother of one of my students, is a manager at the nearby store. She called me when they put all of the back to school stuff out. Those pocket charts were gone in less than 24 hours! I find them really handy. If you see them next summer, grab them!!!

14. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Maven

Mar 18, 2008

laminate everything, and store inside a flat cardboard box, or plastic, to keep from fading, peeling... some folks roll 'em

I don't