Teaching Credential Interview Questions

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by unique one, Mar 25, 2013.

1. unique one

unique one Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

Hello, I am fairly new to this forum and was hoping you guys may help me answer these interview questions to get into the teaching credential program. These questions I just found online through different websites. My interview is next week and I am freaking out because I have no idea what they are going to ask. It could be one of these questions. I really, REALLY appreciate your help!

1. What issues, both of intensity and difficulty, face teachers today? What strengths do you have to deal with this issue?

2. What is a problem that you might have with a student and what would you do to resolve it? Be specific in your example.

3. What are some of the reasons why students are in danger of dropping out of school?

4. Why are some students work abilities significantly lower than their grade level? What are some solutions you could offer?

5. What does it mean to be a teacher in California (I'm from California)?

6. Describe how you have been involved in diverse cultures and how this involvement will benefit you as a teacher.

7. Why do you want to become a teacher?

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

Why not share your answers first?

4. unique one

unique one Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

Thanks! That actually makes me feel better. I'm definitely not unstable or crazy, I'm just a little nervous about it. If it happens to be conversational though, then I should be fine...I hope.

5. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Mar 25, 2013

I would definitely make sure you have a good, strong answer as to why you want to become a teacher - if not for the interview, just for yourself. A lot of people get into teacher training programs and drop out due to the intensity. I'm not saying that's you; I just think most interviewers for a credential program want to make sure their applicants are prepared (as much as you can be) for this sort of position.

What school are you applying to? I got my credential from Sac State :)

Good luck!

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 25, 2013

What do you think? I've sat in with lots of interviews, and I'm never interested in what people think we want to hear. We want to know what they really think. As a student, you wouldn't be expected to have all the right answers, but they can get hints about where you are coming from.

I could give you complete answers to your questions, but my experience in a low-income public school in rural eastern Kentucky isn't likely to make sense in California.

Tell us what you think first. We may be able to tell you if you're way off base, but overall it has to be you.

7. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 25, 2013

I was nervous for mine too, but like Heartdrama said, it wasn't so bad. I wouldn't call mine conversational because they had a list of questions, but they were all pretty simple. I prepared for it like I would prepare for a job interview. The one thing that I would have found difficult if I hadn't been lucky enough to look into it beforehand (total coincidence) was knowing about resources that are out there for teachers and students in my area. Think about the students you've worked with, what their lives and academic needs were like, and how you can relate them to the questions. Just make yourself look competent and motivated and I'm sure you'll be okay.

8. unique one

unique one Rookie

Mar 25, 2013

First off, I'm applying to San Francisco State

Okay, here's what I can say about me wanting to become a teacher. I have been around kids for awhile now whether it is babysitting them or what not, so handling the intensity I'm sure I can handle that. I have been substituting too, so that comes in handy and the school I substitute at everyone knows me and they have a list of other substitutes they can call, but say they would like to take me over some of the other ones any day.

Another thing is that I would like students to find the encouragement to learn and keep learning. Basically push them because they are the future, and I would like nothing else but to help make the future bright. And I think that is what makes being a teacher so great, reaching out to the future. I believe I have the will and drive to do that.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2013

Keep in mind that much of the intensity comes from the work that doesn't involve face-to-face time with kids. The paperwork and planning aspects are much more intense than working directly with the kids (most kids, I should say... There are a few that can certainly be intense!). Teaching will be much, much different than babysitting in that respect. Just something to consider.

This sounds good. Be sure to have some examples of how you used your will and drive to benefit others or yourself in the past too. And maybe be prepared to explain what you think you'd like to be teaching when you complete the program. I say what you think you'll want because you very well could change what you want as you gain experience. I know I did. Have an idea to share with them though.

10. unique one

unique one Rookie

Apr 1, 2013

Quick question..should I take anything with me to the interview?

11. bison

bison Habitué

Apr 1, 2013

I took an unofficial transcript printout with me but I didn't end up needing it. Might be good just in case. Like any other interview, definitely take a notepad to write down relevant information.