Teaching Children of Poverty - An add on endorsement

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Jan 8, 2018.

1. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 10, 2018

It's why the failing label shouldn't exist at all. Teachers can transfer and lose the label, but I feel for the kids who are labeled and perceived as failures before they even begin their lives. They internalize it. Those mental and emotional barriers are tougher to overcome than anything academic.
    The sources listed seem excellent though and will be helpful to compassionate teachers with a great administration

Tyler B. likes this.
  2. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 10, 2018

I tried to maintain a neutral relationship with all my coworkers. Yes, some teachers tend to be more hostile and whining than others.

3. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Jan 10, 2018

well, our principal just told us that our school got labeled as a low-performing school this year, and all the field trips are canceled until further notice (increase our testing scores). LOL

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    webmistress likes this.
  4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Devotee

Jan 10, 2018

Giving a pay bump to teachers who work with low income/low scoring children may not fly politically. It would be my first choice as a remedy, but I don't think the world is ready for this solution.

webmistress likes this.
  5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jan 11, 2018

We do that in many places in NJ. It’s not uncommon to start in wealthy districts making 10,000 less than urban. Especially if it’s a big system compared to a wealthy K-8 district. Urban Schools still just become patronage mills in many cases. The priority isn’t typically hiring the best teacher available.