Teaching Anatomy & Physiology Vocab

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Myrisophilist, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 5, 2013

How do you approach teaching the myriad anatomy terms to students? Do you have any techniques to share?

I think it's best to focus on roots, prefixes, and suffixes because then the students can apply that knowledge to any word. My issue is that I'm not sure what method will help the students and me reach this goal.

Some of my thoughts so far have been flashcards and triple entry vocab (very time consuming for the amount of information). Something more engaging would be preferable. Thanks for your thoughts!

3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Phenom

Jan 6, 2013

I'd search for vocab games. I'm certain there are a lot of games for roots and prefixes as well. And since these will be anatomy terms, you can do a lot of visual stuff, like labeling and coloring of diagrams.

I remember in anatomy, we did a lot of lab practicals.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Jan 6, 2013

At my school Anatomy and Physiology is an upper-classman course. IMO, juniors and seniors should not need their teacher to figure out how they should learn vocabulary. It is memorization which is 100% in their court by that age.

That being said, in my science classes I teach prefixes, roots and suffixes the first couple of weeks to make things a bit easier.

With my freshmen I do a few vocabulary games (BINGO, tic-tac-toe, Memory). With my lower-level students I sometimes break big vocab-heavy chapters down where students have a vocab quiz every day but with only five/six words on each one. I count it as one quiz total.

5. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 6, 2013

There are several free online digital flashcard services. My students like those (but all of my students have laptops).

6. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 6, 2013

Thank you for the ideas. :)

I agree with this, but I want to be able to give the kids some effective suggestions and perhaps use some techniques to recap vocab before assessments.