Teaching Abroad

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherperson, Mar 20, 2017.

1. teacherperson

teacherperson Rookie

Mar 20, 2017

I am about to graduate college with a B.S. in elementary education with a certification in teaching ESL. I really want to try teaching English abroad, particularly in Europe. I need a TEFL certification, don't I? Or is an ESL certification enough? Also, have you ever heard of CELTA? I read that it's the preferred kind of certification to have if you want to go to Europe, but I don't really know much about CELTA.

Have any of you gotten TEFL certified? Was it worth it? How hard is it to find a job overseas, particularly in Europe?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 20, 2017

Many overseas English teaching jobs don't require any special certification.

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Mar 20, 2017

If you have an ESL certification that's MORE than sufficient. Those that you speak of are like watered down classes to teach you just the basic/ fundamentals and are usually some modules you like $1000 for. If you have an actual ESL certificate, you could TEACH those classes. I looked into them when I was thinking about teaching in Spain. Speaking of which, are you interested in a specific area? I'll recommend some programs that don't require those programs.

BEDA SPAIN: my friend has been teaching there for four years. I actually got in, was already to go , and then backed out for a variety of reasons. She LOVES it!

And the Ministry: http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convoca...torias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html

Look into those!
    :):peacesign:

5. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Mar 21, 2017

I taught in Europe for 4 years. Loved it. Learned German and met my future wife. We got jobs through the Department of Defense. Solid pay and great benefits. When we applied, two years of experience was required. Another way to go is to teach in an International School. You can attend a job fair and get hired on the spot.