Teaching about the Holocaust

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by AnonyMS, Feb 1, 2015.

1. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Feb 20, 2015

Thanks, but that would be too high for 5th graders... and take too long to read since I only see them once per week.

I was hoping for some new-to-me picture books (fiction or non-fiction). Thanks to everyone!

2. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 20, 2015

Given your criteria and constraints, perhaps you should be looking for those books in the third grade range. They might be more appropriate for your specific needs, as well as having picture books make up a larger portion of what is out there to choose from. Just a thought.

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2015

Scholastic, I think, had a great study guide to go with number the stars!

When I was in high school & studied it more for extra credit for 1 day or 2, I think...sorry it was awhile ago, my teacher drew names. We were then asked to be either a Jew or Nazi identified with an arm band & we were only allowed to speak with or like group. It was difficult!!! But good learning experience.

4. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Feb 21, 2015

The Devil's Arithmetic and Boy in the Striped Pajamas are age appropriate for grade 5. Maybe not reading "The Diary of Anne Frank," but reading about her and maybe even in the play form would be great for grade 5.

5. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Feb 21, 2015

I was about to suggest that. I taught Night (through audiobook, mostly) to my 8th graders this year and then we read the play version of The Diary of Anne Frank online through Nexuslearning. It was much shorter than making them read another novel, but I still exposed them to the iconic story of Anne Frank. We are watching the movie when we get back from break.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Feb 21, 2015

If this is for a Sunday School class, I am not quite sure how this will work out. It certainly is not a topic that I would have thought to teach in Sunday School, as even the concept of only meeting once a week seems daunting to teach this in a traditional school way. I wish we had more information.