Teaching a Child English

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cutelilram, Sep 24, 2013.

1. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Sep 27, 2006
    Sep 24, 2013

I have a student who recently moved to the Unites States and does not speak a word of English. My school has no bilingual class for her and so she was placed in my room of 28 children. I am not sure how to help her.

Where should I begin to help her learn sight words and sentence structure? I already have one of my other students act as a translator. Thanks.
  3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Oct 25, 2005
    Sep 24, 2013

Our school was required to provide ELL services outside of the school district since our school/district could not provide them. The students were bussed to a nearby university for ELL classes until they were able to return to the district in regular class settings.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2007
    Sep 24, 2013

Look at the resources on Dave's ESL Cafe (google it). Lots of helpful information there, including stuff for newcomers.
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Multitudinous

May 13, 2005
    Sep 24, 2013

I'm blithely assuming that the language in question is Spanish. Is this student literate in Spanish? If so, that means you don't have to teach her to decode and blend and all, though she will need to learn that "ll" and "j" and vowels work differently in English than they do in Spanish. It also means that she could begin learning vocabulary from bilingual picture dictionaries, either the ones intended for kids (such as Usborne's My First Thousand Words in... series) or the ones intended for adults, many pages of which nevertheless tend to be accessible to kids: Oxford University Press had some lovely picture dictionaries a few years ago (the Arabic-English version was a lifeline for a friend of mine), and I would expect most publishers that publish in language learning to do similarly.

And, yes, indeed, there's Dave's ESL Cafe!