teacherstestprepcom

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ao_, Jul 28, 2017.

1. ao_

ao_ Rookie

Jul 28, 2017

Hello,

I searched to see if there was a thread on "teacherstestprep.com" but didn't see one, if there is I apologize I overlooked it.

My question is if anybody has paid for teacherstestprep.com would you say it was worth it? I am currently using Cliffnotes, Barrons. Princeton Review, and Youtube (CrashCourse & Khan Academy) to study and I just received my test score for the first test I took which was CSET MS III and did not pass. Now I am stressing out about passing the rest and I am now considering adding teacherstestprep. com to my list of resources but its pricey. Therefore would like to hear the opinions and thought of those who have used it.

Thank you!

3. DAH

DAH Companion

Jul 29, 2017

[QUOTE="ao.... if anybody has paid for teacherstestprep.com would you say it was worth it[/QUOTE]

Hello Ao. I have been singing the praises of Teacherstestprep.com for a year. I had taken Sub-test 2 and failed, but after enrolling in their 6-month video course for math & science, the next time I PASSED in flying colors! I attribute it all to the EXCELLENCE of their short teaching video courses covering every competency.

Their videos are short, concise, and to the point. I really liked that!
    I was NOT OVERWHELMED by the content; after all, I had already learned that stuff in college, I didn't want to take the whole course over again, I just needed to be reminded and refreshed! And they did it ROYALLY. They taught me only what I needed to know to pass.

The next time I tested, I knew EXACTLY what to do and how to answer the questions.

TeachersTestPrep.com comes with HIGH RECOMMENDATIONS from me.
    Good luck.

AlwaysAttend and ao_ like this.
  4. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 10, 2017

I am currently using that website for subtest 2. I can't say how good or bad as only on day 3 using it...I paid for the two week one....as I only have two weeks to study which is insane given my rudimentary knowledge in both math and science. However....After having taken all the other subtests (only have results back from one), I am SO glad I am doing it. Its very concise, to the point...where with the Cliff notes I'd be struggling trying to organize...this organizes and presents the info. to you. I'm looking forward to part where do practice questions...and then you get a evaluation of your weak areas. For that matter, if/when other subtests come back I'll prob use for that too. It is pricey, but I want to get into teaching school and get that salary!

5. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 10, 2017

[QUOTE="Maggie1999, .... I only have two weeks to study [/QUOTE]

Good luck, Maggie.

6. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 12, 2017 at 11:30 PM

Good luck, Maggie. [/QUOTE]
    Thank you, I just realized re-looking at your post you took 6 months....ugh...don't know why I didn't start this sooner. But at least if I fail whatever subtests, can just start fresh...just don't want to wait another year!

7. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:18 PM

[QUOTE="Maggie1999, ...you took 6 months...[/QUOTE]

Yes, Maggie. I'm not a real quick learner, I'm a THOROUGH learner. Math requires PRACTICE, that's why I took the 6-month course.

Also, while I studied with the video, I wrote down EVERYTHING HE SAID--not just the problems he worked out on the board.
    I literally WROTE DOWN EVERY THING HE SAID ABOUT THE PROBLEM! WORD-FOR-WORD!

I STOPPED THE VIDEO every few minutes, and wrote out EVERYTHING he said and did, then started it up again. THAT REALLY HELPED ME TO UNDERSTAND! Then I would review it laying in bed, on the bus stop, or wherever.

I took my time, wrote everything down NEATLY in a nice notebook that I would refer to over and over again. I did that for math and science.
    In fact, I still have it.:)

If I had not passed the 2nd time, I would NOT have needed to re-purchase the program, because I have everything he said and all the problems he did already written down.

I have learned that I PREFER a course TAUGHT BY VIDEO than in person because I can STOP THE TEACHER and have them say it again and again, and AGAIN, if necessary, until I get it---and you can NOT do that in person.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 4:31 PM
  8. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 13, 2017 at 6:05 PM

Hi there,
    I actually did exactly that- meaning very neatly I wrote down almost every word he said...or so I thought....the first intro core videos. But then when I got to the practice test....it was all greek...as he does not provide hardly any practice questions during the intro core videos.

Having said that....I printed out the test questions....then went through and am watching the individual video for each individual problem. With that, I am NOT (so far) writing it all down....I am trying to do the problems as he says next to the test problem....

I am a little bit blown away at the depth of most of the math problems in comparison with what he offered in the core videos....big difference....I feel he should have gone much more in-depth on the core videos. So I'm not learning in a linear way how to go about these problems. My bad....giving myself such a short time.

I like your idea of writing everything out....I am assuming you mean even in the individual explanations of how to do the test problem? Yet I can only imagine the time that took. That in itself is not so bad, but then need plenty of time to study, absorb, and like you said, practice and practice. I am sure your six month program much better than my 2 week program. Shoot....I could hire you to tutor me if you were local!!

One other, probably irrelevant aspect to this is they have officially changed the test as of the 8th so now no one knows whats on the test....although it cannot be too different. Math is math.

9. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 13, 2017 at 7:56 PM

[QUOTE="Maggie1999....when I got to the practice test....it was all greek.. .[/QUOTE]

Maggie, I never took the practice tests. I knew they were available, but I just spent my time slowly learning how to do the problems in the videos, and that turned out to be good enough.
    Good luck

10. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 13, 2017 at 9:41 PM

DAH,
    I just met with a math tutor...a long time math teacher and now part time teacher as well as tutor. She was really good. She helped me to see where I'm at with math which is quite elementary. She also made suggestion that she has seen some students cram too much and if its too fast, forget their foundational skills...it just washes out. She didn't say that would happen to me, but more in response to how hard I tried to cram with those problems today that were just over my head, and every single one so different from the last.
    She's taking me back to where I 'm at, the basics...gave me loads of worksheets....

Only because I asked, and I forget her last words....but she said she thought I had a chance but that it was unlikely I'd pass (in kinder words). I think she's right - I was debating on canceling it.

Because she tutors so much locally - often with college grads and testing....she said she was surprised the CSET a requirement, that some schools just require the CBEST to get it. That got me stumped....I've done my hw. But indeed, when I look up the intern program (that isn't for sure happening)....it says Prerequisites are
    *successfully pass CBEST
    *successfully pass the CSET exam (recommended)

So what the heck does recommended mean...and I had no idea talking with the place twice I had to have CBEST....so phone calls in the morning, I am thoroughly confused.

Bottom line....I think I'm going to need more time to pass this CSET test.

Thanks for corresponding with me. Hope I'm not overwhelming you with information. Maggie

11. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:48 PM

[QUOTE="Maggie1999,
    ...she said she was surprised the CSET a requirement, that some schools just require the CBEST to get it. But indeed, when I look up the intern program (that isn't for sure happening)....it says Prerequisites are
    *successfully pass CBEST
    *successfully pass the CSET exam (recommended)
    Hope I'm not overwhelming you with information. [/QUOTE]

You are not overwhelming me with information. I find this interesting because I also looked into the intern and credential programs in California and found that ALL or MOST require that you FIRST pass the CSET before they will CONSIDER YOU. That's new. Years ago, you didn't have to pass it until the end of the program.

The problem they were having at Los Angeles USD was that many teachers that were hired for their intern program, already teaching, with (I think) 3 years to pass the CSET exam, WERE NOT passing it.

I spoke to a teacher who was released. She said she took the CSET test 5, 6, 7 times, and still didn't pass within the 3-year period, so they had to let her go. That's why (I think) they changed the policy to you have to pass BEFORE they accept you.

But, if I were you, I would look into it. Because if it says RECOMMENDED, then it's not required. But continue to WORK ON PASSING IT, because eventually you will have to pass it. They might accept you NOW since you are working on passing the CSET.
    Thanks for keeping me posted

NOTE:
    After I passed the CSET exam, I decided to attend a credential program IN ANOTHER STATE that requires their own exams to get in. So, now I'm working on those.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 12:56 PM
  12. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017 at 5:13 PM

Hi,
    Ok that makes a lot of sense, so the CSET requirement kind of new. Strange...the intern program I'm applying for is requiring CBEST and CSET (thats the place said its recommended). So now I have changed my CSET date...prob not a lot better, but after I get back from NC will have an extra 3 weeks to study - for better or worse at that point as there is nothing more I can do about it....a program MAY accept me without it...but only if they don't have other more qualified applicants.

So this intern program clarified, no its not mandatory for admission (while now I have the CBEST to take AS a requirement) but they did indicate that it seems their programs somewhat competitive so if others applying with also the CSET's under their belt...they will pick them. So its like a game of poker.

Meanwhile the local state university ($20,000 vs the $9,000 of the intern program)....couldn't care less about the CBEST....but CSET mandatory. But they are nice, non-competitive...sounds like they are willing to let me go past their application deadline to get the CSETs passed. My tiny little worry is what if I still can't pass it? Its all become really stressful really.

I hear you about moving states. My goal is IF I can get in a program....as soon as I get my credential move to another state, a cheaper area of living, etc. I know it wouldn't be a smooth transition teaching wise, but had heard that CA's CSETS are rigorous enough most states will accept that as superior to their own testing. However....that may be completely untrue, or at least I know of a few states (like NC one state I may wish to go to) also has rigorous testing. Ah well, thanks for chatting about it....what a journey!!

I keep forgetting their is the online program...Western Governers University....I haven't yet had conversation but was inspired by a CA poster on here who went there and felt really good about them as a teaching college.

13. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:48 PM

[QUOTE="Maggie1999, ...I keep forgetting their is the online program...Western Governers University....I.[/QUOTE]

Maggie, I looked into Western Governor's program and didn't like it. It takes too long! Their program takes 3 years; that's longer than CalStateTEACH'S program which is about a 18 months.

I am looking into an online program from Florida, called TEACHER READY dot org. It is a product of the University of West Florida. It costs under $5,000, and takes less than one year to complete. Their student teaching is only 5 days long--and I really like that! California's is FIVE MONTHS with NO PAY, I might add.

In the Teacher Ready program, you take a basic skills test (similar to CBEST), then, of course, the content exam, i.e., English, math, Elementary Ed., whatever you want to teach. I like what this program offers, it's not expensive, and it doesn't take too long.

Also, the state of Texas offers some really good programs that costs under $5,000, and, you're done within a year. Texas does not require a basic skills test, only the content examination, and student teaching is 2 months.

There's lots to choose from out there.
    Keep me posted, thanks for the information

14. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:19 PM

Well, I'm interested in all that. I'd like to do something like that if don't get into this intern program.

I assume the schools you are looking at are approved by all the (two or three?) education agencies/regulators...?

Its curious...if some of these programs only a year....what are they leaving out that 'regular" schools aren't? And, I've been wondering about actual content of special ed teaching anyway....they teach some good stuff I'm sure...but its not skills oriented. You are also going to be a special education teacher? Why did you decide to change states? Just curious. Maggie

15. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:23 PM

Is it Teacher Ready.org? Trying to figure out if they offer special education....

16. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:16 PM

[QUOTE="Maggie1999,
    • I assume the schools you are looking at are approved by all the (two or three?) education agencies/regulators...?
    • if some of these programs only a year....what are they leaving out that 'regular" schools aren't?
    • I've been wondering about actual content of special ed teaching anyway....they teach some good stuff I'm sure...but its not skills oriented.
    • You are also going to be a special education teacher?
    • Why did you decide to change states? Just curious. [/QUOTE]
    Okay, Maggie, I'm going to answer all of your questions.
    (1) Yes, TeacherReady is a product of The Univ. of Florida, so their credentialing program is approved, and TRANSFERABLE to other states.

(2) That's the same thing I wondered when I first looked into it--WHAT ARE THEY LEAVING OUT since it takes less than a year to complete. I found that states have different things that they focus on; Florida seems to focus a lot on 'teaching style,' and pedagogy. Their program does not teach a "Methods" class, per se, like California does, but they cover it. It's embedded in everything else they teach.

(3) They don't offer Special Ed. that I know of. They just offer Elem. ed., and secondary school subjects. Special Ed. programs (CalState) teaches assessment, special needs population, Language acquisition, maybe a few methods courses, too, I forgot.
    (4) I am not going for Special Ed.

(5) I'm in California, and at first I had planned to attend a California-based program, that's why I took the CSET, but I didn't like them. First of all, they were TOO EXPENSIVE, they took TOO LONG, and they require a FIVE-MONTH student teaching segment, that I felt I didn't need. I've taught for many years as a substitute and a regular teacher a few times. I am over 50 years old. I don't need to spend 5 long months WITH NO PAY in student teaching (I don't think).

That's why I began to look at other programs in other states, and in the process I noticed how much CHEAPER THEY WERE. I was stunned! The cheapest California credential program I found was about $18,000. Florida's cost about $4,500, and that was a game changer for me! AND, they let you pay $500 a month while you're in the program.

Hope I answered all your questions.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017 at 10:41 PM
  17. Maggie1999

Maggie1999 Rookie

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:17 AM

Okay, Maggie, I'm going to answer all of your questions.
    (1) Yes, TeacherReady is a product of The Univ. of Florida, so their credentialing program is approved, and TRANSFERABLE to other states.

(2) That's the same thing I wondered when I first looked into it--WHAT ARE THEY LEAVING OUT since it takes less than a year to complete. I found that states have different things that they focus on; Florida seems to focus a lot on 'teaching style,' and pedagogy. Their program does not teach a "Methods" class, per se, like California does, but they cover it. It's embedded in everything else they teach.

(3) They don't offer Special Ed. that I know of. They just offer Elem. ed., and secondary school subjects. Special Ed. programs (CalState) teaches assessment, special needs population, Language acquisition, maybe a few methods courses, too, I forgot.
    (4) I am not going for Special Ed.

(5) I'm in California, and at first I had planned to attend a California-based program, that's why I took the CSET, but I didn't like them. First of all, they were TOO EXPENSIVE, they took TOO LONG, and they require a FIVE-MONTH student teaching segment, that I felt I didn't need. I've taught for many years as a substitute and a regular teacher a few times. I am over 50 years old. I don't need to spend 5 long months WITH NO PAY in student teaching (I don't think).

That's why I began to look at other programs in other states, and in the process I noticed how much CHEAPER THEY WERE. I was stunned! The cheapest California credential program I found was about $18,000. Florida's cost about $4,500, and that was a game changer for me! AND, they let you pay $500 a month while you're in the program.

Hope I answered all your questions.
    [/QUOTE]
    You did! Thank you so much, seriously.
    I'm already disappointed the Florida school doesn't do special ed. I'm too tired at the moment to do that level of research into online schools, so I appreciate you sharing with me what you know. I take it you passed your CSETs altogether ? And now are doing whatever Florida needs....I am curious how they are transferable to other states...for example California...unless its not a concern for you because you've got those CSET's under your belt.

For me, I am fairly deeply discouraged about this CSET stuff. I did not think this through well...kind of jumping in with both feet...and I'm just not prepared. I am looking forward to the 25th I find out how I did on my writing skills and subtest 3 - which it sounds like a fair amount of people fail and I did not feel comfortable walking out. However I passed the first one, and I didn't think I passed it....the trigger for this whole conversation. But the math/science one....its thrown me off....So now I will have 4 more weeks to study but am kind of burnt out. If I don't pass it....perhaps I'll just do exactly what you did, and do the six month version of the TeachersPrep. But then I will have missed out on the Spring Internship program and I suspect this will be their last one for a few years.

So then perhaps online school....but I can't get out of the CSET's right? Not knowing what state I will end up living in.

Anyway, thanks so much for the conversation, you've been amazingly helpful. I am also in my 50's...54. I expect teaching to be stressful, and going to school is of course hard, although I did take 4 education classes back in college and found them super easy material. I did not expect this testing process to be so stressful - for me. I realize its not for many people, better schooled than me. Enough for now.

18. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM

[QUOTE="Maggie1999,
    • I take it you passed your CSETs altogether ? And now are doing whatever Florida needs....
    • I am curious how they are transferable to other states...for example California...unless its not a concern for you because you've got those CSET's under your belt.
    • I will have missed out on the Spring Internship program
    • I can't get out of the CSET's right? Not knowing what state I will end up living in.
    • I did not expect this testing process to be so stressful - for me. .[/QUOTE]
    Hi Maggie
    Yes, I completely passed the CSET Multiple Subjects exam. Sub-test 1 and 3 passed the first time. Sub-test 2 (math & science); failed. But passed the 2nd time (thank God:praying:), after enrolling in the 6-month program with TeachersTestPrep. and studying for about 2 months before re-taking the exam. And now I'm working on Florida's FTCE Basic Skills exam. Florida has 4 sub-tests: English, math, writing, and reading.

I passed the English first time, but failed math. I hate to admit that I also failed the reading sub-test, which really SURPRISED me. It was very DENSE, complex academic articles on linguistic analysis, and other things that were OVERLY difficult for a BASIC SKILLS TEST. I was OFFENDED, and I didn't pass.

Florida credentials can be transferred to California, according to CTC, BUT, they may require some professional development courses. Sometimes they just transfer right over.

But the thing I'm most concerned about is, will the Florida credential transfer as soon as I get it, OR will California require that I have a certain amount of "teaching time" on the Florida credential. I haven't been able to find out yet. But, nevertheless, I LOVE the Florida system, I like their program, and I am PRAYING that I will be accepted, because I haven't applied yet. I want to pass their basic skills exam first, THEN I will apply for the program.

Texas has MANY reasonably-priced online credential programs too. But you have to go TO THE STATE OF TEXAS to complete their two-month long student teaching requirement. (I haven't ruled Texas out yet.)

If you get your credential in California, you will have to take some CSET test, UNLESS, you took the waiver in college.
    When I was in college, they told us, 'if you are a bad test taker you may take the waiver courses that take about a year and a half LONGER, then you won't have to take the CSET exam." And I thought, 'No, I don't need to do that, I'm a pretty good test taker," but later I regretted it.:neutral:

You sound like you are TOO RUSHED, that's why it's so stressful. Now that you have taken the test, you know what to expect. That should give you some solace.

Have you already been accepted into the Intern Program?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017 at 12:55 PM