Teacher's worst nightmare

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Kat_Kong, May 12, 2019.

1. Kat_Kong

Kat_Kong New Member

May 12, 2019

Hi everyone,
    I am experiencing a teacher's worst nightmare. I was placed on administrative leave (Paid) under accusations of inflating test scores. I teach kinder. I was administering the test 1-1 and my colleague (or so I suspect) told the administration I was helping kids take the test. I had only given the test to 5 or so kids out of 22 in my room. I was shocked and saddened by this. I contacted the teacher's union for support. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I was told it is not punitive but I believe I am done. I am applying for a new job outside of the district I am in since I think this may end badly (if I am terminated). Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    KK

3. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 12, 2019

Talking to them or even putting your finger on the test booklet can be interpreted as helping them. I suspect the latter might have happened and someone walking by observed it and reported it. Definitely get union representation.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 12, 2019

We need more information. Tell me what you specifically did during the test. If you conversed with any students or gestured at the test booklet or referenced any of the testing material, then you did, in fact, help them.

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. miss_roxy

miss_roxy Rookie

May 12, 2019

Are you a new teacher? If so, plead ignorance. Ask them to explain to you what was incorrect about your method, and to show you the correct way. It's all learning!

I know it feels scary right now but if you were told it's not punitive, you are likely fine and should just do your best to keep your head up til it all blows over.

otterpop likes this.
  6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 13, 2019

This seems so ridiculous! THEY ARE IN KINDERGARTEN! How can you be "helping" them with the test? It seems like someone is trying to make something out of this for a different reason. Keep us updated. I want to know what happens. Hang in there!