Teachers Pay Teachers is too Cutesy

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Falcon Flyer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. ms99

ms99 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012

I love, love, love TPT. I have gotten so many great things from there. I like all the cutesy stuff. The only thing that has caused me to pass up something based on a font/graphic is when the font is hard to read or a font where the letters aren't capitalized correctly.

For example, I have a great font that I would love to use for things in my classroom but the "r" is written as a capital even when you are typing it lowercase. I've seen a lot of things to download that use the "smiley monster" font. It is a font that has no capital letters - everything looks lowercase. I try not to buy anything that uses a font like that in the directions, because I think it sends the wrong message to my students to give them something that doesn't follow the rules that I make them follow when they are writing. :)

2. MissTeach22

MissTeach22 Companion

Oct 20, 2012

I love it. I actually like the polished look that many of the borders and clip art add. I guess it's all personal preference.

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 20, 2012

I completely agree about some of the fonts. They look awesome, but aren't clear enough for my grade 1s.

4. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Oct 20, 2012

I love Teachers Pay Teachers, but i know what you mean about the cutesy fonts. Some of my students absolutely can't read those fonts, and for the most part, I've had to stop using the cutesy worksheets because it just starts frustration.

5. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Oct 20, 2012

We can only use certain fonts and do not use worksheets at all. So most of what I would want is communication with parent type forms and the cutsey stuff is out.

6. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Oct 20, 2012

I'm going to put black and white activities on TPT. At my school I'd be in so much trouble for printing that much stuff in color!

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 21, 2012

The font that has capitals for certain letters so it appears a capital is in the middle of the word seems to be popular, and it would totally undo all of the work I've done with one student who uses random capitalization.

Other than work with fonts I don't care for, I like most of the stuff on TPT.

8. alm111

alm111 Rookie

Oct 21, 2012

Thank you!! I HATE all that cutesy stuff. If I taught primary, I might feel differently (?), but I don't really do cute in general. Practical fills my heart just as much.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 21, 2012

I find TPT almost as dangerous for my wallet as Amazon, lol!

10. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Oct 21, 2012

The capital letters in the middle of the words drive me crazy, too. I have found activities that I really love but didn't buy it because of that.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 21, 2012

Sometimes I will still get the activity, but just glue my own typing over top. It has to be an awesome activity, though!

12. applecore

applecore Devotee

Oct 21, 2012

This is EXACTLY the reason why I don't buy from TPT. While there are some amazing ideas and resouces for lessons, the font and size of the font are the issues that I come across.

The mixed up capital and lower case work on TPT are ones that I can't use--and this is becoming popular on the website work!! I've got enough work cut out on my own to get these little hands to write the correct way.

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Oct 21, 2012

I'm secondary, but I cringe at the cutesy stuff, too. :) How much do you all spend on TPT in, say, a month? Do you contribute to the site as well?

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 21, 2012

I think I'm going to start contributing my film studies stuff. Though, there may not be a huge market for it.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 21, 2012

Right now I only download the free stuff. I guess I would pay for something if it was really unique. Many things I find online have to be modified for my students anyway so it is usually easier if I just create materials myself than to pay for some then spend an hour redoing it.

16. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2012

I teach Kindergarten, so it works for me! :) I also notice that everything from Carson Dellosa--everything from a stick person to a refrigerator to the state of Kansas--has the same smile on it! :O)

17. beachteach!

beachteach! New Member

Oct 23, 2012

Kids like cutesy! I like cutesy! Nothing wrong with something looking cute. Oh, and I love TpT! I cannot believe the creativity of teachers!

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2012

So don't purchase what you dont like. Or create and market your own. Maybe there are other like minded teachers out there who would like what you have to offer.There are several members here who sell materials there. Your comments about kindergarten scrawl are rude.

19. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Oct 23, 2012

The fonts are supposed to look like they were hand-written.

20. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 23, 2012

I don't think it's rude. The OP was describing what the fonts look like. There are many fonts that are intended to look like a child wrote them. I also dislike fonts like that. I don't think the OP was being overly critical or rude, just stating that he/she doesn't like the materials available, and wondering if anyone else agreed.